• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can anyone identify this canopy?

Strelok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been searching for a period correct high rise camper shell for m 1990 Ext Cab for ages.
This is the coolest one I've found so far.
Hoping to get a little more info about it before I drive 18 hours to go get it though. Even just the brand would help me track it down.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
can·o·py
/ˈkanəpē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. 1.
    an ornamental cloth covering hung or held up over something, especially a throne or bed.
    "a romantic four-poster bed complete with drapes and a canopy"
There is no canopy in the pictures.I think you meant "camper". There should be some kind of identifier somewhere on the inside. A metal tag or stamp or something etched in glass or plastic.

Strelok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
can·o·py
/ˈkanəpē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. 1.
    an ornamental cloth covering hung or held up over something, especially a throne or bed.
    "a romantic four-poster bed complete with drapes and a canopy"
There is no canopy in the pictures.I think you meant "camper". There should be some kind of identifier somewhere on the inside. A metal tag or stamp or something etched in glass or plastic.

camp·er
/ˈkampər/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who spends a vacation in a tent or camp.
    "the site offers washing facilities for campers"
  2. 2.
    BRITISH
    a large motor vehicle with facilities for sleeping and cooking while camping.

Guess you're wrong too.

Canopy gets more results on Craigslist.
Shell is more descriptive.
Cap is what I was taught it was called.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Never ever heard it called a canopy. As a professional awning installer for the past 15+ years *canopy* is a word I have used more than I could explain, and never has it referred to what you had in the picture. Maybe a flat tonneau, but never a camper she'll. Sorry.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That one is pretty unique... certainly period correct. Seems all the manufactures had a version back then. Sorry I don't have the answer for you...

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Leer, Snug Top, A.R.E. are the first brands that come to mind, but I'm sure there were lesser known ones back in the day.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never ever heard it called a canopy. As a professional awning installer for the past 15+ years *canopy* is a word I have used more than I could explain, and never has it referred to what you had in the picture. Maybe a flat tonneau, but never a camper she'll. Sorry.
There are some similarities between a truck bed topper and an aircraft canopy.

I have a buggy top canopy for one of my tractors which is similar to the coverings used on covered wagons to protect cargo from the elements.

That is a neat topper, you see some weird ones and with the V front windows that pretty much takes the cake. I have been halfway looking to get one for my truck, lots of variety out there for sure.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
where i bought mine it was called a topper.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
looks like a "jason" brand to me, im sure several manufactures made a "high-top" cap. ive had leer, a.r.e. and gemtop brands myself. ive liked the leer brand best. the gemtop had no front glass, but a "boot" that sealed up against the cab.

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I had to go check ( I don't keep the topper on the truck ), but this is the one I have, manufacture plate shows Fibrebec, mine is for a 6 foot bed. If you look at your third picture ( the one of the back ) on the passengers side bottom you can see the remains of the name plate. *( Shameless self plug--mine is up for sale with my two rangers, look in Rangers for sale and also in parts for sale sections, title is Vortech supercharged Rangers & more )* The donuts for the back windows were sold serrate, they do help cab to bed weather protection. Also Century made a topper like this, but the back side windows could be slide open. Hope this helps.

Strelok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to go check ( I don't keep the topper on the truck ), but this is the one I have, manufacture plate shows Fibrebec, mine is for a 6 foot bed. If you look at your third picture ( the one of the back ) on the passengers side bottom you can see the remains of the name plate. *( Shameless self plug--mine is up for sale with my two rangers, look in Rangers for sale and also in parts for sale sections, title is Vortech supercharged Rangers & more )* The donuts for the back windows were sold serrate, they do help cab to bed weather protection. Also Century made a topper like this, but the back side windows could be slide open. Hope this helps.
That's awesome. Is yours the same color with the same graphic on top?
I'd love to see some pics so I can compare.

I bought it btw

Attachments

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine looks identical to yours, it was on my 2011 Ranger when I bought it. It was previously painted to match the dark blue of the truck. You can get the foam ( goes between bed top & bottom of camper shell ) from Home Depot, in the seam isle, by the weather stripping & door sweeps. use 1 1/2 to 2 inch wide, comes in rolls. For a good cab to shell bubble check www.siraweb.com they run 24.95 plus shipping. If your truck does not have a sliding back window then check with accordion boot .com . For there piece you remove your rear window & the front window of the camper shell, then there rubber donut/bubble mounts to the window frame rails/sills. Nice big opening but a lot more work if you ever want to remove the camper topper. To mount to the bed, you can drill through camper topper sill & top of bed sill, use large washers to spread the load/clamping area. I use a piece of 1 1/4 wide flat stock on each side & 3 c-clamps per side, once tightened I use a zip tie to secure c-clamp handle so it wont loosen ( I do take the topper on/off as needed--mostly it's off ). NOTE: probably a good idea to use the pieces of flat stock even if you are bolting it on, to spread the loading/clamping area. the flat stock lengths I use are 4 feet long. For the rear suspension I've had great luck with Hellwig 2 piece helper spings ( J.C. Whitney--# h631250--116.00 plus shipping ) get extra nuts from Home depot the nylon locking kind install these after springs are installed & tensions are set. complete install takes about 1 hour 15 min for both sides. If you don't have a rear sway bar J.C. Whitney also has a Bell tech rear sway bar # b265542 177.30 plus shipping. hope this info helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals