• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camed 3.0 Edge Video... I WANT THIS CAM

Lil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 Ranger
Make / Model
EXT Cab Splash
Engine Size
Crap.. Not Enought.. 3.0 (WANT A 3.3 Stroker M90 Blower)
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
that kind of cam would kill the torque ofa 3.0 better have the rigth gearing/stall to make up the torque loss and a nice blower. it would be ok for a play truck but would kill your fuel economy on a DD. If you do alot of stop and go traffic with a big cammed motor alot of fuel is wasted out the pipe(s)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Lil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 Ranger
Make / Model
EXT Cab Splash
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine sounds similar if i unplug the IAC (quieter due to stock manifolds).

agreed, the street drivability of that truck would suck.

i like the way this one sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQXyCom7X2o

more (listen to that thing under load...it sounds rutheless!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d52PiH_oI-U
Any Idea who it is??? Or what Cam that is???
I have been lookin into V8 Swaps, for a lil more Power
but mainly for a Nice Sounding Exhaust...

I am now lookin into a M90 SuperCoupe Blower on a 3.0..
Only if I could find a Set of 3.0 Headers with out payin
$250 just for better sound.. I finger that Cam + A Blower
I would be more then happy.. n still get Good/Decent MPG..

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont know who it is...but i know the car is popular in the probe crowd.

as turbo cat already said, a cam that will make your truck sound like that is going to lower fuel economy and make the truck not very fun on the street. you dont need to know the exact specs to get a lumpy cam like that, just take it in and have it reground. tell the machinist what you want and he'll make it happen.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
headers arent going to make the motor louder. You will gain a small fraction of power but I would go for the big gains then dig into the small bolt ons. If you actually want power go with forced induction. A rough idling cam is becasue it has long duration and a close LSA (more overlap) Most engines with a smooth idling cam for good vaccum is 114-117 area depending on the motor. Alot of big cams range from 108-112 which will give you way more overlap. Lots of overlap and duration (how long the valve is open) allows the motor to intake more air at higher rpms. When a motor is turning 6000 it has a smaller window of time to inhale then it does at 2000. At idle you will have low vaccum due to the big duration and overlap. The low vaccum and overlap will cause the motor to idle rough (the lopey sound you hear) and fuel mixture to blow-by (as in ou tthe exhaust before the exhaust valve closes. Also the issue with big camms is low vaccum to operate vaccum related accesories like your brake booster. Emissions, economy and low rpm torque will be lost to gain power in the upper powerband where most street motors dont need. I wouldnt do it just for sound even a V8 woulnt sound lumpy unless it has a big camm. A big camm liek that you will also need ecu retuning and if you have to pass emissions you will fail. Upgrraded valve springs will also be necesary with big camms.

Last edited:

Lil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 Ranger
Make / Model
EXT Cab Splash
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
headers arent going to make the motor louder. You will gain a small fraction of power but I would go for the big gains then dig into the small bolt ons. If you actually want power go with forced induction. A rough idling cam is becasue it has long duration and a close LSA (more overlap) Most engines with a smooth idling cam for good vaccum is 114-117 area depending on the motor. Alot of big cams range from 108-112 which will give you way more overlap. Lots of overlap and duration (how long the valve is open) allows the motor to intake more air at higher rpms. When a motor is turning 6000 it has a smaller window of time to inhale then it does at 2000. At idle you will have low vaccum due to the big duration and overlap. The low vaccum and overlap will cause the motor to idle rough (the lopey sound you hear) and fuel mixture to blow-by (as in ou tthe exhaust before the exhaust valve closes. Also the issue with big camms is low vaccum to operate vaccum related accesories like your brake booster. Emissions, economy and low rpm torque will be lost to gain power in the upper powerband where most street motors dont need. I wouldnt do it just for sound even a V8 woulnt sound lumpy unless it has a big camm. A big camm liek that you will also need ecu retuning and if you have to pass emissions you will fail. Upgrraded valve springs will also be necesary with big camms.

Vac Lose wont be a problem, if I do the Cam the M90 Blower will
be at/close to the same time..

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I finger that Cam + A Blower
My 2.9L didn't have even that aggressive of a cam and the MPG wasn't decent. And the cam isn't the main thing about an engine as far as performance, it's not good practice to just throw parts in without knowing how it's going to affect other aspects (you'll build a sloppy idling turd). You say you "want that cam" without even know the specifications on it. :icon_twisted:

FWIW, Headers on a boosted motor is more than just about sound. That applies to N/A where the exhaust is likely not to be the bottle neck, that's why not much gain. And $250 is nothing compared to what you're talking about building practically..

Pete

Edit:
I agree with turbocat on vacuum loss as well. My 327 with an exotic cam like that had no power brakes at idle, crappy for a street motor. My V8 going into my Ranger is much milder, will be a hoot on the street.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
actually, headers on a supercharged motor can hurt performance. free-flowing headers act to reduce the effective boost the blower can produce. higher boost levels are usually more than enough to compensate for restrictive manifolds.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Any Idea who it is??? Or what Cam that is???
I have been lookin into V8 Swaps, for a lil more Power
but mainly for a Nice Sounding Exhaust...

I am now lookin into a M90 SuperCoupe Blower on a 3.0..
Only if I could find a Set of 3.0 Headers with out payin
$250 just for better sound.. I finger that Cam + A Blower
And that cam sounds pretty close to a stock cam just he has no muffler possibly. usually a turbo cam with have a wide lsa and shorter duration than a big NA cam because you dont want exhaust reversion due to the turbine housing.

I built a cat back exhaust for my bros 3.0 and it sounded pretty close to that at idle anyways. All i used was a junked honda resonator and a side exit tip.

Lil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 Ranger
Make / Model
EXT Cab Splash
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2.9L didn't have even that aggressive of a cam and the MPG wasn't decent. And the cam isn't the main thing about an engine as far as performance, it's not good practice to just throw parts in without knowing how it's going to affect other aspects (you'll build a sloppy idling turd). You say you "want that cam" without even know the specifications on it. :icon_twisted:

FWIW, Headers on a boosted motor is more than just about sound. That applies to N/A where the exhaust is likely not to be the bottle neck, that's why not much gain. And $250 is nothing compared to what you're talking about building practically..

Pete

Edit:
I agree with turbocat on vacuum loss as well. My 327 with an exotic cam like that had no power brakes at idle, crappy for a street motor. My V8 going into my Ranger is much milder, will be a hoot on the street.

When I Said $250 I ment for a set of headers... May gain 5hp, if that..
Better Flowing Exhaust.. I know about Big Cams, Headers, n Blowers..
I have a 331 Stroked N ProCharged Mustang... A smoother Exhaust flow
is always better.. Im not saying I want a .450 Lift Cam.. Just that
Old School Aggressive Sound.. I have a Mustang with a Turbo Coupe
Engine in it for my MPG Car... I want a Nice Sounding Ranger...

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
if you want a good sound go for an aftermarket exhaust. But if you slide a bumpstick in to give you that "lumpy idle soud" you will lose in many areas for a DD. Especially a a lifted truck with big tires and a small V6 motor. you need torque not high range power. Daily driving a big cammed car or truck isnt all fun and games. I drove a 4.6L v8 around for years with stage 2 camms. It really guzzles the gas up while cruising/idling thru traffic. When you get out on the highway then everything was good.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
A high lift camm is fine if the valve train is up to the task. A camm with lots of lift dosent create a lumpy idle. A cam with lots of Duration and a close Lobe Seperation Angle does.

Last edited:

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
if you want a nice sound i suggest you stay away from magnaflow, i had one on my ranger the single in dual out and it sounded like a 4 cyl, i put a Supper 44 Flowmaster on it and at idle it sounds like a V8 as soon as i can get a vid clip i will post it for ya so you can get an idea of how amazing flowmasters sound, IMHO i also think that glass packs sound like complete crap on 3.0 ranger (no offense to anyone) if you want a nice deep low sound go with Flowmaster Super 44 (not super 40) its a great sounding muffler. and its loud

Edit.
The flowmaster exhaust with just a pipe extension fits right onto the MagnaFlow pipes that are custom fit for rangers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals