• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam sync?

equalXlength

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford,
ford,
t
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If i pull the motor ill just do a motor swap. Dont want to do it until i know for sure what my problem is, anyone know how to diagnose low OP problems. I don't know much about this cam sync but i think if it was broke i would have 0 pressure at all times. I do have some OP just not enough. Thanks

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your first check should be a new filter and some 40 or 50W oil. If the pressure comes up some your problem is the 250K you have on the engine.. It is NORMALLY worn out! If the pressure doesn't come up some then there is a chance the pressure relief valve in the oil pump has went away.. but most likely your engine is simply worn so much that the oil is leaking internally out of all the bearings and head parts that it cannot build up enough pressure because of all the wear. In other words.. more oil is leaking inernally than the pump can push!
Big Jim

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Think of it thisaway.. You can blow up a balloon with your mouth.. Take the balloon and cut a small hole in it..then you can only blow it up 1/2 the size as one with no hole in it.. Then cut a larger hole in it..now you can only blow it to 1/4 the size.. That is what I think has happened to your engine. The normal wear has opened up the parts that normally hold the oil and keep the pressure up.
The oil pump can only pump so much oil and the pressure is made from the bearings and such not allowing the oil to flow past their location.. But when they wear out the same thing is happening that cutting a hole in a balloon does..
Big Jim

equalXlength

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford,
ford,
t
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
changed the oil with castrol 10-40 and added a quart of lucas with a motorcraft oil filter. OP reading is still the same as before. Ill keep you posted if its the oil pump or not. Thanks

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I believe he meant straight 40 or 50w oil, but yea, if its got 240k miles i'd say its time for a rebuild, i'd bet money the motor is just tired.

equalXlength

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford,
ford,
t
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
its hard for me to believe the motor is worn out by the way it runs and how quiet it is. no knocking or anything and it easily get a third gear chirp lol. I believe its got 145, not 245 so i will install an oil pump and see if it helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals