• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam and compression questions

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was just curious why some high lift or big duration cams need higher compression to run.

Also about what duration do you need to start running higher compression.

Thanks.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The more overlap a cam profile has, the more cylinder pressure you are going to bleed off. So not having enough cylinder pressure to start with is a problem. Thus having higher compression helps the situation a lot. Also, the size of the cam is also dependent on what size engine it is in. The more cubic inches, the less the effect the cam has. So a cam that might be large for a 289 or 302 is not too large for a 351. So ging a generic answer to how much duration is the point where more compression is needed is not an exact science. And . . how much compression are you considering stock or low? 9:1 ?? I have run durations in the 220s at .050 easily with 9-9.5 CRs with a 302. If I were to be in the 230s, I would want compression to be about 10:1.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The more overlap a cam profile has, the more cylinder pressure you are going to bleed off. So not having enough cylinder pressure to start with is a problem. Thus having higher compression helps the situation a lot. Also, the size of the cam is also dependent on what size engine it is in. The more cubic inches, the less the effect the cam has. So a cam that might be large for a 289 or 302 is not too large for a 351. So ging a generic answer to how much duration is the point where more compression is needed is not an exact science. And . . how much compression are you considering stock or low? 9:1 ?? I have run durations in the 220s at .050 easily with 9-9.5 CRs with a 302. If I were to be in the 230s, I would want compression to be about 10:1.
Thanks. I was just curious about this. Im not building any engines for awhile. lol

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Excellant explanation, but I'll add that the amount of overlap in todays cams aimed at EFI applications is less than those intended for carbs. But I've found that the EFI cams with their wide LSA's allow the carb to function better than those intended for carbs. There's the theory that this limits the topend, but I haven't found that to be the case.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Baddad.

So if and when i get a different cam i should get the higher degree lobe separation?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Baddad.

So if and when i get a different cam i should get the higher degree lobe separation?
I would, definately. But just remember to tailor the comp ratio to avoid having to run more expensive fuels (octane) than you want to. My 331 likes 91+ premium only, with a 10.5 to 1 ratio. The 5.0 in my Ranger when I sold it was fine for most of the year on 87 and 9 to 1, but unless the timing was backed off in hot weather, would need 89 in summer. The 331 has a Z303 (112 LSA) and the Ranger's 5.0 had a stock F4TE roller (116 LSA) The Ranger worked so well with that cam and carb that it needed no choke whatsoever, down to 20*F.

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
And added bonus of cams with a lot of overlap is that because cylinder pressure is lowered, you have less detonation problems. I have a hot 306 that runs 12.8s. I run 87 octane, never once had a single ping.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals