• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Calling all computer gurus... need advice

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good idea.
I don't think I could do that a lot of times though. We camp a lot and as much as I love technology, I want it far the hell away from me when we're out in the woods. Camera and a radio are one thing... but I see guys at campgrounds with their Blackberry, laptop, Blue Tooth head-set (Which, sorry, but unless you dress like a CIA agent, you look like an idiot with the thing on your head anyway.), etc... and I just want to slap the bastard. Why bother leaving the house? Camping should be about nature, getting the hell away from everything, getting drunk, peeing on trees, and occasionally, accidentally setting fire to yourself or someone else... among other things. NOT maintaining several lines of communication with all of the a$$holes you're trying to get away from in the first place. Idiots.
Sorry.
/rant

So yeah. I think I need another memory card. Lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Good idea.
I don't think I could do that a lot of times though. We camp a lot and as much as I love technology, I want it far the hell away from me when we're out in the woods. Camera and a radio are one thing... but I see guys at campgrounds with their Blackberry, laptop, Blue Tooth head-set (Which, sorry, but unless you dress like a CIA agent, you look like an idiot with the thing on your head anyway.), etc... and I just want to slap the bastard. Why bother leaving the house? Camping should be about nature, getting the hell away from everything, getting drunk, peeing on trees, and occasionally, accidentally setting fire to yourself or someone else... among other things. NOT maintaining several lines of communication with all of the a$$holes you're trying to get away from in the first place. Idiots.
Sorry.
/rant

So yeah. I think I need another memory card. Lol.
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I take my cellphone and often my laptop when I go camping. If I have cell service, I'll put it on vibrate an take it with me. If I don't, it stays in the truck with the laptop. The last time I didn't take my laptop with me, someone in camp got video of me wheeling my choptop, and even had all the stuff to connect to a computer and download the vids from wheeling, but no comp. He was supposed to send me the vids when he got home and got them uploaded. That was nearly a year ago... and guess what? No vids. If I would have had my laptop, I would have got all the vids.:annoyed:

One of the TRS wheeling trips I was on, after a day of wheeling, dinner, hosing some mud off some trucks, an all, a couple of us sat down to enjoy a few beers, relax, bs, etc. We also all pulled out our laptops, uploaded pics, and passed the flash memory card around. Showed each other some other pics an stuff on our comps, powered down and kicked back to bs some more an drink a few more before heading home.:icon_thumby:

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ah, well I suppose that's understandable and a little different.
I know what it's like trying to get video or pics from people. The old "Sure, I'll make you a copy / Let you borrow it later" trick. Lying bastards.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ah, well I suppose that's understandable and a little different.
I know what it's like trying to get video or pics from people. The old "Sure, I'll make you a copy / Let you borrow it later" trick. Lying bastards.
:icon_rofl:

Yup. I'll admit, I promised giving out pics a number of times and never did. But that was back when I had to finish the roll of film, get it developed, scan the pics, upload the pics, etc. Now that I have a digital camera, it's not a problem to just dump the images onto my comp, and send 'em off.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, true enough.
I usually tell people if they really want said pictures, video, etc... Send me an email and remind me. That way it puts a little bit of the work on them to remind me of it, and I'll see it while I'm actually at my computer, in which case I'll normally send it right then, before I forget about it. Works out nice because half the people never send me an email. Lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, true enough.
I usually tell people if they really want said pictures, video, etc... Send me an email and remind me. That way it puts a little bit of the work on them to remind me of it, and I'll see it while I'm actually at my computer, in which case I'll normally send it right then, before I forget about it. Works out nice because half the people never send me an email. Lol.
LOL, I like your "verification" process.:icon_thumby:

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lol
Well, the way I figure it, if they can't be bothered to take 2 seconds to send me an email, than I can't be bothered to send them whatever it is that they want.
Screw 'em.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

Just a teaser... more to come tomorrow when my parts get here...

And yes, that's my bedroom... and that is a 32" TV... located right at the foot of my bed, I have about 3' of space between the foot of my bed and the TV.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice... But how you type on that lil' bitty keyboard?
Lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nice... But how you type on that lil' bitty keyboard?
Lol.
:thefinger:

I have trouble using a regular keyboard.... I bought a laptop style keyboard cuz when I try to use a regular keyboard I'm always banging my fingers off the sides of the keys and not punching keys hard enough and the like. Throws my typing speed and error rate all to hell. You gotta remember, I've been using pretty much nothing but a laptop for the past 6 years.... I've grown used to the short keys, compact size, and flat layout.

Besides... I don't have to compensate for anything. :thefinger: :hottubfun:

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If your computer's power strip sits in a hole IN THE WALL, you might be a redneck....
Well... see we were having trouble finding the proper sized grates for the cold air return... and my power supply's power cord was way too short... and after I accidently kicked the switch on the power strip and shut everything off once... I figured it better move to a safer location until I got my new power supply.

So there was a purpose.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No need to get all excited. I wasn't making fun of your lil' keyboard. Really, I think it's adorable. :haha:

Just giving you shiite. I mean, it IS the gift that keeps on giving. :D

I guess it's all in what you're used to. When I try to type on my work laptop it's a mess. It's more the difference in the layout than the spacing between keys. I can't get used to it.

Get your new stuff installed yet?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
No need to get all excited. I wasn't making fun of your lil' keyboard. Really, I think it's adorable. :haha:

Just giving you shiite. I mean, it IS the gift that keeps on giving. :D

I guess it's all in what you're used to. When I try to type on my work laptop it's a mess. It's more the difference in the layout than the spacing between keys. I can't get used to it.

Get your new stuff installed yet?
:icon_bounceblue: I wasn't getting excited, that's why I used the flipoff smilie with the big grin, lol

Yea, this works for me and it's what I'm used to. If I ever got hired to a job where I had to do a lot of typing, I'd probably get my own keyboard.:icon_thumby:

I got my stuff yesterday, got it installed last night... and added some of that window a/c foam filter material to the fan openings and air holes... After getting it all put together with the 120mm fan, I found that my temps went up a degree in the case.:annoyed: Plus I had a massive bundle of wires that I ended up just tying together and shoving into an empty 5.25" drive bay.

Then I fired it up, let it get settled in, and started installing COD4. Walked away cuz it was taking a lil while and when I came back I found that my comp "crashed." Said it ran into a critical error and was forced to reboot.:annoyed: Tried it again and it loaded fine and then I spent 2 hours gaming. (That is a cool game!!). When I got out of it, I checked the temps, CPU was around 46* Mobo was slightly cooler. Game ran fine, no burps, lags, or anything that I could see or hear. I was the one lagging behind the curve of the game... been awhile since I last played a FPS on the comp.:icon_bounceblue:

I'll get some pics up prolly sometime today of my comp. Didn't feel like messing with it last night.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Whoa... it went up? Wtf...
Still not bad temps, but that's not right.
Somehow air is being drawn in the wrong direction, or in such a way that it's actually warmed the CPU up, Obviously right? But that's what you need to figure out. Does the fan have a speed control on it? Where are the other fans, besides your CPU placed? I see one on the top.
To clarify what I told you before, because I'm not sure what you sealed up or filtered; You do not want to seal up the front of the case, unless you have an intake fan in front, in that case, you could seal around it to make it more efficient. If there's no fan in the front, you want to leave it totally open, so air can easily be pulled through. If there's a side panel fan, most likely it already has a metal grate type filter over it, so leave it alone too. If this doesn't help, you may have to rearrange some things. Give me a better idea of your layout and maybe I can help.
It took some doing, but I have most all of my wires either routed around the edges of the case, or tucked behind the motherboard panel. Zip ties help out a lot too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals