• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bypass pats

Miller118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good afternoon! I have bought a vehicle without the keys. 2008 ford ranger sport 3.0. I see that this is a chip key. Unfortunately when the previous owner lost the key he drilled the ignition. I can turn the key onto start position without they key. However the security imobilizer will not allow it to turn over. Can i jump wires to bypass this
72B26BD6-2961-408B-BE65-6926C6D2D0A3.jpeg

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Best to replace the lock cylinder and get a key. I may be mistaken but I think ForScan can program the key to truck. ForScan is a Ford scanning software that is downloadable.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

In a word, No
There is no way to bypass PATS in pretty much any year or model Ford, it is that good, lol

Best, cheapest, option will be to have a Mobile Locksmith come to vehicles location with a laptop and Ford software, he can program new PATS keys that will be recognized by the PATS/Computer system

You can buy a new lockset(ignition and 2 door locks) with 2 new PATS keys
You can install these first so locksmith just needs to program the new key numbers into the PATS/computer system
It still takes an hour to add Keys to the system, sometimes longer, this is on purpose so a car thief can't just add a key and drive off

If you can tow or trailer the Ranger for free to a Locksmith that might be cheaper, so he can do other things while waiting for the system to accept the new keys

Ford Dealer can do this as well but not the cheapest option

You do need to show proof of ownership with the above, so have those Documents handy and your ID

And since you have never started the vehicle, there may be, probably will be, other issues, but since PATS disables fuel pump and injectors that's the first hurdle to get over
Make sure there is oil and coolant and also FRESH GAS, gasoline only lasts 5 to 6 months in a gas tank, after that its no longer "fuel", it's a good weed killer, but not fuel :)

There is a software you can run on your laptop called Forscan
It can program PATS keys, but not sure about 2008 Rangers
There is a Forscan forum, may be have a look and read some
The software is not free and you also need a special cable to hook up laptop to Vehicle

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
yup, because using an elm27 (or whatever bluetooth one) won't work with some forscan stuff because the adapter is not good enough. i was using it yesterday and it told me that for something i was trying. get the cable adapter

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals