• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bugging Out / Survival

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I just picked up an 84 B2 a month ago so I'm now thinking about starting the whole Bug Out Vehicle and survival gear idea. Been watching a lot of videos and such on it, but really don't have the money to do too much. I do want some sort of firepower but prices on anything are outrageous. The pistol I would really like is pretty hard to find and the price isn't too bad is the Smith & Wesson model 6904 9mm pistol. A friend of mine has one and it fits my hands very well and is very comfortable to shoot and small so its easy to carry and conceal if needed. I'm kind of up in the air for a long gun though. As far as survival gear I'm pretty well set up for long term camping and such that's taken care of, just deciding how to deal with the vehicle issue, might try to build shelves in the back of the B2 here soon when I get everything else fixed on it.

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up an 84 B2 a month ago so I'm now thinking about starting the whole Bug Out Vehicle and survival gear idea. Been watching a lot of videos and such on it, but really don't have the money to do too much. I do want some sort of firepower but prices on anything are outrageous. The pistol I would really like is pretty hard to find and the price isn't too bad is the Smith & Wesson model 6904 9mm pistol. A friend of mine has one and it fits my hands very well and is very comfortable to shoot and small so its easy to carry and conceal if needed. I'm kind of up in the air for a long gun though. As far as survival gear I'm pretty well set up for long term camping and such that's taken care of, just deciding how to deal with the vehicle issue, might try to build shelves in the back of the B2 here soon when I get everything else fixed on it.
Well the Sense in Preparing is Having Spares or Doubles of Everything , For instance Under My Hood , I have a Spare Serp belt , Starter Solenoid , Coil , Inside I have A Dual Outlet power inverter as well As Aux12 V Cig light plug in , Also have Spare Wheel bearings , Spindle nuts and a few Spare Lug nuts , About to be getting more parts setup soon !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Well the Sense in Preparing is Having Spares or Doubles of Everything , For instance Under My Hood , I have a Spare Serp belt , Starter Solenoid , Coil , Inside I have A Dual Outlet power inverter as well As Aux12 V Cig light plug in , Also have Spare Wheel bearings , Spindle nuts and a few Spare Lug nuts , About to be getting more parts setup soon !
I'm slowly working on getting spare parts, I plan on installing a power inverter but haven't figured out where to mount it as I don't want it just sliding around anywhere. I like the Bronco 2 as its small but yet has the ability to haul and tow if needed plus its easy enough that I can work on it myself.

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm slowly working on getting spare parts, I plan on installing a power inverter but haven't figured out where to mount it as I don't want it just sliding around anywhere. I like the Bronco 2 as its small but yet has the ability to haul and tow if needed plus its easy enough that I can work on it myself.
That's cool , But I prefer my 4.0 Power and Stronger Axles , And I Like the First Gen Explorer Looks !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
That's cool , But I prefer my 4.0 Power and Stronger Axles , And I Like the First Gen Explorer Looks !
When you are on a serious budget you use what you have LOL. I like the 4.0 as well but this is what I have so I will have to work with it. Right now I just found a mess in my engine oil so I've got the whole oil/coolant mixing problem if its not one thing its another.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
We have been slowly "up rating" the BII and the 2 Rangers to 1St Gen. "X" specs, drivetrain wise. This will greatly reduce the number of "spares" per vehicle, plus maximize interchangeability between them. Same tires, wheels, mods, etc... The hardest part is still trying to figure which 1 or 2 gets THE nod. The BII or the "X" for passenger capacity, towing/cargo and which of the Rangers- Supercab/flatbed or reg cab/shortbox. Both are 4wd. ALL are manual trans and manual X-case/lockouts. ARRGH!!! Decisions, decisions.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I like the first gen explorers as well but found the bronco 2 for a good price allowing me extra money to get it looking and running good. Currently it doesn't have carpet in it and I plan to leave it like that and do some sort of bed liner application in it so I can hose it out if I want.

What stronger axles are you running? I'm thinking about doing a swap eventually to at least a Dana 35 front and the 8.8" rear. Currently I have 3.73 gears, might upgrade them to 4.10's with limited slip at least. The 2.8L V6 is simple to work on and I just bypassed all the computer crap so there's no computer controls in it anymore at all in case of an EMP attack. My grandfather had a 93 Ford Ranger 4.0L engine was strong, transmission was a pile of crap unfortunately. Should have kept it and did a 4.0 swap into my Bronco 2 dang it hind sight is 20/20 LOL.

Currently the Bronco 2 is in the shop having the engine pulled for a rear bearing problem so I'm having all the bearings, gaskets, and seals done in it, along with a full tune-up and depending on how the clutch looks I may have that done as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals