• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II "weird" Trans Noise

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Could it be the driveshaft clicking? Mine did it only under medium accelerations, not while cruising or idling around. I doubt that a u-joint style shaft would make a clicking without vibrations, so this is only an answer if you have a cv style shaft.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Vibrations are difficult to find. The factor that might cause the vibration can be specific to many things, rpms, vehicle speed, gear reductions, harmonics etc. So don't rule out an exhaust noise because you can't reproduce it at idle.

As for needing a cat for the sake of mankind . . . jeesh

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It might possibly be the Torque Converter. Inside the TC are empeller blades that are often rivited in place, the others are spot welded. They have been known to come loose, and gradually create sounds like you're describing. When they finally come loose, it trashes the TC, and sends metal shavings through your tranny.
Before you panic about that, do as sudgested, and crawl around under the truck trying to find loose stuff. It took me awhile to finaly descover my muffler was actually rusted out on the intake side. That, after welding the crap out of the heat shield on my Cat, that was also loose and rattly. (I only heard the rattle from the muffler occasionaly, on acceleration).

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Save the children of the future from global warming, use a catelytic converter!!!
oh, sorry, global warming already started. never mind.

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
SO i was underneath earlier and shaking/pounding like mad. Nothing seems loose, vibrating. I grabbed the driveshaft and it doesnt budge at all. it could possibly be the torque converter? i may change my tranny and torque conv fluid soon just to see if that changes anything. But its just nothing violent. Just noise. Not a vibration at all. SO maybe it is exhaust related. How does one troubleshoot though?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you check up front at the warm air intake to the air cleaner box? The thin metal intake that fits around the exhaust manifold on the pass side can get loose enough to rattle a little, as well....

Trouble shooting an exhaust rattle is not my cup of tea. Start at the front and work your way back. use a rubber mallet to bang around on it. (that's what I did, besides banging on it with my hand)
When you check your tranny fluid, your gonna be watching for tinny metal flakes in it. I use a small mag light to shine into it at different angles. If you see anything like that, you may have a problem.

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I removed that warm air intake when i durasparked it. It was rusted through and i was able to just pull it off. Im off to bang on the exhaust now, and maybe change the tranny fluid later. Ill try the mag light trick when i do it. Ill keep updating as i rule this out

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
SO.. Was really banging around today with a mallet and everything seems pretty darn sound. HOWEVER, there is seemingly something sligtly loose in the muffler. It isnt an expensive muffler. Just one of the ones with edges curled/smashed around so they seal. not welded muffler. It takes some effort to create sound, but its there. So no exhaust noise at idle, but in gear? that would be considered normal?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could be it. I don't know of a good way to check it beyound that.
Maybe:
1. stretch a hammock under the truck from bumper to bumper, and get a trusted friend to drive while you hang out under there checking it out....(you should video this if you do, we wanna see it)
2. get in a manhole and listen as it passes over you...
3. put it up on stands and listen from underneith while someone runs it through the gears....

Seriously, all kidding asside, I'm outa suggestions at the moment. I do want to see a video of #1 though.... ;)

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
put it up on stands and listen from underneith while someone runs it through the gears....
I've done that many times. Still if the noise only occurs under load this will not narrow it down one bit.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Turn up the radio. I know I'm a big help. This problem will get louder if it is the exhaust. If it is the torque converter or the flex plate, you will know when the truck wont move. :D

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Today i changed the trans filter and pan gasket.. Fluid is clear with no shavings and smells/looks normal. Boy was changing that a PITA. But today i ran it through its paces with a buddy in the back. seems like the noise IS coming directly from the muffler area. definitly on the passenger side rear.

I guess im going to buy a new muffler, as ive been wanting one with a bit more sound anyways. Its sure not going to hurt. I can get dynomax on the cheap... Whats their quieter muffler out of the set? Thanks for the help. Pretty much eliminated the trans/converter possibility. And thats a weight off of my chest for sure

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm new at this so don't make me feel too bad if my guess is somewhat dumb.
However, is it possible the trasfer case could be slipping ? Second guess, the front dog bones maybe clicking ?
:icon_confused:

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nah, theres really no clicking. Thanks for your bit of wisdom though! it all helps. Transfer case is fine. Pretty sure its exhaust at this point. Got a thrush welded muffler and will be putting it on this week. hopefully thats indeed the issue. if not, then i just have a better muffler anyways!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals