• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 project for my son

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I love doing it but man I tell ya ….. these 4.0 OHV engines are stressful to say the least. I had one from a 2000 explorer that ran like a top …. Pulled it apart and BOTH heads were cracked… so maybe it’s my luck, but it’s a 50/50 for me with these engines.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Got the D35 installed today! Pulled out of the Navajo one piece at a time, cleaned and then installed right into the bronco.
new hubs, and hardware, new radius arm bushings, new bearings, etc…. Still plan on doing the 97 ranger/ dual piston caliper brakes, just got excited and put all this in just to get it back on its wheels!
Got the fuel lines out of the Navajo as well.
Not super exciting, but we are getting there!

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
When I did the D35/8.8 swap on my 89, I put the coils and found some coil spacers at the junk yard. I fit 31s on mine just fine with the explorer coils and spacers. Gave it a nice little lift. I'm going to try and put 35s on it, now, since i think I can with the body lift I have on mine. Looks good man! Well have to do a meet with the rigs one of these days. I'm hoping to have mine back together over the next few months.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ya man, I’m going to do some different coils on it with 2nd gen exploder springs… the springs that are in this thing make it look like it’s got the good old Carolina squat. I found a full set (including spare) of 2004 fx4 wheels with 31x10.5x15 tires that’s going on it as soon as I get em.
I plan to have mine done in the next few months too so we will have to meet up for sure man!

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Yeah! the Fx4 wheels should look good! I put 94 explorer wheels on mine, the blade wheels? i think there called, they looked ok! Well do something! Let me know if you need anything, Ive got a few different things! I know you got alot also also! haha

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah! the Fx4 wheels should look good! I put 94 explorer wheels on mine, the blade wheels? i think there called, they looked ok! Well do something! Let me know if you need anything, Ive got a few different things! I know you got alot also also! haha
Ya man I appreciate that for sure. The fx4 wheels look good on almost anything IMO LOL

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ya man I appreciate it… I’ll be sure to bug you if I need anything for sure. These wheels are gonna look sweet for sure … I do like the “saw blade” wheels but I’ve always been partial to the fx4 alcoas.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I got the gear box swapped out from the Navajo, got the steering shaft figured out… but I have a big question…. Does anyone know right off hand where I can get a fuel line adapter for this thing… the smaller side snaps right in there but the bigger side is female to female …. Or what other solutions might some of y’all have?

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You may have to do a sex change there Doc ;)

Any chance of an adapter with a male on both sides?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You may have to do a sex change there Doc ;)

Any chance of an adapter with a male on both sides?
Ha ha yeah I was afraid of that lol
I am not 100% positive if there is a double male adapter or not…. Been a long time since I’ve done a 2.9 to 4.0 swap… cannot remember for the life of me what I did for the fuel lines 😅

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Running into another small hiccup… I’m preparing myself for what’s to come with the wiring/dash work… unfortunately I don’t really see colors all that well … so my question is … would it be easier to swap the whole dash, radiator support wiring etc?

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
what did I do on mine? I'm having a hard time remembering also..... Um I believe I swapped the fuel lines from the filter up to the engine. The return, has to be spliced no matter what, I think. I did the splice down by the fuel filter. I'm pretty sure that's what I did.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
what did I do on mine? I'm having a hard time remembering also..... Um I believe I swapped the fuel lines from the filter up to the engine. The return, has to be spliced no matter what, I think. I did the splice down by the fuel filter. I'm pretty sure that's what I did.
I’m getting ready to attempt making my own fuel line as shown on many other forums (including this one)
Fingers crossed I get it lol

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I’m getting ready to attempt making my own fuel line as shown on many other forums (including this one)
Fingers crossed I get it lol
That would work also!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I got the gear box swapped out from the Navajo, got the steering shaft figured out… but I have a big question…. Does anyone know right off hand where I can get a fuel line adapter for this thing… the smaller side snaps right in there but the bigger side is female to female …. Or what other solutions might some of y’all have?
I cobbled together some half-baked adapters in my Choptop years ago, they’re still holding, but I want to put together new lines out of -6AN PTFE line for mine and just do it right. A less sketchy might be to build adapters using AN stuff, but at that point you might as well just do the whole thing. Both pressure and return needed adapters on mine, the one would snap together but it was the wrong pair of lines if I remember right.

You could also make lines using the nylon stock stuff, Dorman makes the stuff for that.

I have to get a new gas tank in my Choptop and I’m gonna re-plumb it when I do that. Not sure how quickly it will happen though. I have most of the stuff just things happened and things are just gonna take time right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals