• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken U-joint flange

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have had a little bit of vibration since I bought the truck a couple years ago, but after lowering it recently I noticed it had gotten a little worse. Well, today the flange that attached the rear U-joint to the pinion flange broke at 65mph on the freeway. Yesterday I noticed a metallic sound coming from the rear of the truck under hard acceleration when turning right. Guess I should have gotten under there a little sooner.

I am not sure if I had a failure of the U-joint (caps or needle bearings?) or if it was because of the driveline geometry. I lowered the front of the truck with 3" beams and the rear with 4" leafs, but I had to raise it back up with 2" shackles. I am not running a spacer under the center support bearing.

I took some measurements today. The center of the pinion flange is 13" from the ground. The center of the U-joint flange at the center support bearing is 12.5". The Center of the transmission output shaft is at 13.5". I also measured the angle of the pinion flange with relation to the ground. I got a reading of 83 degrees, so I imagine that means it is 6 degrees up since the pinion is pointing up.

Should the pinion be pointing down a couple degrees? Do I need to move the center support bearing up 1/2" or 1"? Where would I get such a spacer to move the center support bearing up?

I also want to take this time to replace the center support bearing. Is there a how-to anywhere on the internet? Would a driveshaft shop be able to replace it?

I obviously need a new flange for the rear U-joint. Is this a 7.5" Ranger specific piece, or can I get it from any 7.5" equipped Ford car or truck? Does the driveshaft still appear to be useable?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Looks like the cap of the u-joint had been spinning inside the ear of the yoke. The driveshaft, while it would probably still be fine, looks like it needs to be replaced or had a new end put on it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your carrier bearing location sounds acceptable to me. unless there is a spacer under it already that can be removed, there is no way to move it up. you do need to get your pinion anxle fixed, however. the pinion should be "pointed at" the center bearing (so the rear u-joint is straight at rest).

i agree with Jspafford that the cap has been spinning in the ear for some time (seized needle bearing). it finally spun out, allowing the u-joint cross to slam into the ear, sheering it.

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
your carrier bearing location sounds acceptable to me. unless there is a spacer under it already that can be removed, there is no way to move it up. you do need to get your pinion anxle fixed, however. the pinion should be "pointed at" the center bearing (so the rear u-joint is straight at rest).
The center support bearing sits on top of the crossmember, so it should raise it if I put a spacer under it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
really? maybe im use to being under 4x4 trucks ;brownbag; sorry about that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals