• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

bubba79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171..+0.30over
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4+4 susp.and body
Total Drop
Tire Size
12.50x16 agg.tries about 33"
I replaced my 'rear differential gear oil' a year ago.
I recently noticed my 'rear differential gear cover' was leaking.... some bolts were loose and i just snugged them up.
I popped open the 'fill plug' to top off my gear oil and noticed these two large chunks of metal. is my 'rear differential' going to grenade itself soon? the 'differential gear' was low about 125cc of 'differential gear fluid' I believe it uses about 1500cc of 'gear oil'.

I suppose I could pop off the plug every week to see if anything else starts shredding off. I am also planning on replacing my leaf springs. maybe it is time for a new rear axle as well
/facepalm

I noticed most of the rear axles at pick-n-pull have the rear differential exposed. to the workers just pop the cover off to drain fluids and throw it to the side?
would unskilled engine braking contribute to the damage?
I've been running my ranger with the outer edge of a tooth broke off for years now (Lincoln locked) with no ill effects ..( results may vary)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
any idea why there is grease all over this connection that goes to an open hose?

i saw other rangers with smaller pools of grease in the same area
That's just oily dirt. That hose is the vent for the axle and differential. Opposite end of the hose is usually mounted on the frame or higher, with a breather on the end to keep dirt out. The hose is probably old and brittle and allowing oil vapor to exit there and collect dirt.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
All you really need is the spider gears from another axle, just make sure it's a 7.5" axle and not an 8.8, very similar but the cross pin hole is a different size I think.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's just oily dirt. That hose is the vent for the axle and differential. Opposite end of the hose is usually mounted on the frame or higher, with a breather on the end to keep dirt out. The hose is probably old and brittle and allowing oil vapor to exit there and collect dirt.
Hose could be obstructed so it is venting down low as well. Can also cause oil get pushed out of axle seals.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
Any advice for picking up an axle with a good set of drum brakes? A used rear rear axle is only $35 more with the drum brakes and it seems like a PITA to swap out my current drum brakes onto a new axle. I havent really found any videos that showcase the process, it seems like it involves disconnecting a piece inside the carrier and then sliding a hub and axle out of the rear end shaft. Are there special tools involved in this process?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
sliding the axle out is only necessary to replace the backing plate, and wheel bearing/seal.
the shoes, springs, levers, wheel cylinders, can all be done without disturbing the axle shafts.
OEMTOOLS Brake Spring Pliers (autozone.com)
a brake spring tool will come in handy. the job can be done without this, but you will need bandages.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
messing with the drum brakes seems alittle beyond me. i noticed half the axles at pick n pull have a drum brake cover or two pulled off. any idea why?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
messing with the drum brakes seems alittle beyond me. i noticed half the axles at pick n pull have a drum brake cover or two pulled off. any idea why?
What cover are you talking about? The drum itself?.

Drum brakes really aren't difficult. All you need is a picture or diagram of how the springs and things go together and remember that the adjusters thread opposite to each other. So, driver side must be on driver side and passenger side on passenger side.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
All you really need is the spider gears from another axle, just make sure it's a 7.5" axle and not an 8.8, very similar but the cross pin hole is a different size I think.
I 100% agree with this, unless there is damage to the ring & pinion, there is no reason to swap out the entire axle. Snag a set of spider gears from the junkyard or new ones, install & move on with life. Way easier than an entire axle.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
Snag a set of spider gears from the junkyard or new ones, install & move on with life. Way easier than an entire axle.
Initially reading up on this, i was under impression that swapping gears inside the differential requires specific tools and precise measurements and not a job for a novice diyer - something about setting up proper 'backlash' and 'tooth engagement'. I recall reading that it is much easier to just replace the axle.

*edit*
i just watched a video on replacing spider gears. It looks if i am only swapping spider gears, i should be fine, the precise tools and measurements are only involved in modifying the pinion and/or ring gear.

I still cannot figure out if i need to dissassemble the drum brakes to do this? it seems like i have to dissassemble the drum brakes from the axle in order to get each hub+shaft out of the axle, and from there i can mess with the differential internals, ya/na?

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
initially reading up on this, i was under impression that swapping gears inside the differential requires specific tools and precise measurements and not a job for a novice diyer. i recall reading that it is much easier to just replace the axle.

reading back at this thread:
it seems replacing the pinion seal is what is difficult, something about setting up proper 'backlash' and 'tooth engagement'
can i replace spider gears without disrupting pinion bearings?

~edit~ OKAY, JUST WATCHED MORE VIDEOS:
looks like i should be able to *somewhat easily* remove my carrier housing and replace those gears inside, ya?
You don't have to remove the carrier for side gears.

Just pull the axles... pull the spider gear pin and spiders... replace the side gears. Spider gears will have to be "rolled" back in place to install the pin. Not a horrible job to do.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
Just pull the axles...
does this involved messing with the drum brakes? im still trying to find a video on removing 'axles'
(by 'axles', do you mean the shafts connected to the hubs inside of the axle?)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You just have to remove the drums. Backing plates and all the brake hardware stay put.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals