• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brakes locking up

Ttownmedia

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 B4000. When applying the brakes, they apply normal then as the truck slows the brakes practically lock up. A couple of times I was just about stopped when wham, I was sent flying towards the steering wheel. All new front calipers and pads, whole system has been bled.
can this be a ABS problem? Or………. I don’t suspect a delaminated rear brake line.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, not ABS, ABS system reduces brake line pressure to prevent lockup

Take the truck to a gravel road and see which wheel is grabbing or if its both wheels on one axle

It reads like a new caliper or an old Slave cylinder is sticking
When you apply brake fluid pressure the caliper or slave doesn't move all the way out at first, it sticks, then when enough fluid pressure is added it suddenly unsticks and applies too much brake pressure

If its a caliper then you should feel steering wheel pulling to one side at first

Rear brakes have the ABS Valve which can get clogged, if both rear wheels lock up then that could be the issue, not the ABS system just its passage thru the valve

And its possible it could be Master or Booster, but you should feel pedal drop at the time of sudden harder braking

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals