• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bought a new TV today

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
ive been under the understanding that plasma is less reliable than LCD, and plasma is better for a Gamer, LCD better for Movies/High speed full HD. they had a 50" plasma there for only $699

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Which I would not touch with a 20 foot pole. You get what you pay for I guess is the best way to put it.

Plasma is better in a darker environment. If you want a quality plasma you go with Panasonic, or Pioneer.

Quality LCD you go with Sharp or Sony.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ive been under the understanding that plasma is less reliable than LCD, and plasma is better for a Gamer, LCD better for Movies/High speed full HD. they had a 50" plasma there for only $699
Just my opinion, but I don't think plasma is better for gaming. it's not as much of an issue with the newer sets, but plasma tv's have been prone to the dreaded "burn in". And until recently, I believe most plasma sets have been only 720p. They're also way heavier.
On the other hand, plasmas generally have a better contrast ratio, a more 3-dimensional picture, and better viewing angles.
My LCD XBR6 has something like an 80,000:1 contrast ratio, which is excellent, but it's a "dynamic" ratio, which mean it's got to be processed to achieve that number. Native contrast is only like 8,000:1, which really isn't very good, but it's an outstanding tv.
These new Samsung LED (and I think the XBR9's) sets are just ridiculously awesome, like 1.5" thick and they weigh nothing. Pricey as hell, but come this time next year, the same sets will be half the price.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Which I would not touch with a 20 foot pole. You get what you pay for I guess is the best way to put it.
Exactly. My wife kept wondering why I wasn't getting the $500 42" 720 LG plasma when I bought my $1100 42" 1080i Panasonic plasma. She didn't understand that the Panasonic was a MUCH better tv and investment.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My brother usually makes smart decisions, but for whatever reason he decided to be cheap and bought a 37" Westinghouse LCD. It didn't even last 4 months before it took a crap. He's now loving his new Sharp 52" LCD and I bet he'll never have a problem with it.
You cut corners, you get garbage.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That is something I firmly believe in, espically in technology.
And that is why when i decided on my next PC I'm going with one built by this guy:icon_thumby:

to the OP great TV now you will have to set up the surround sound and blu ray to complement it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals