• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Boost curve

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This may be of interest to some of you.

That's a 3rd gear pull.
Holset HE351
Mild porting
Center mount tube header
Ranger roller regrind with a little more lift
big FMIC
3" exhaust

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I like my charger because I've got all available boost at 1500rpm, lol. But you're most likely not towing and 4wd where you can afford to rev up to 4000rpm for brief bursts of full boost and acceleration. Post a video of how it behaves, I'm curious. 26+psi is a lot of pressure!

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I like my charger because I've got all available boost at 1500rpm, lol. But you're most likely not towing and 4wd where you can afford to rev up to 4000rpm for brief bursts of full boost and acceleration. Post a video of how it behaves, I'm curious. 26+psi is a lot of pressure!
BAR is an absolute scale, so at my elevation, 1.85 bar is only 15 psi. And you are right, I don't tow at all.

I need to get a new, more detailed video, this is all I currently have:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvvWuIb6FmA&fs=1" width="644" height="390">www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvvWuIb6FmA&fs=1" />www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvvWuIb6FmA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvvWuIb6FmA

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I assumed sea level for math...

My buddy runs a 2.3 turbo in his ranger. I ported his head and we have increased the intake valve 2mm. I should ask him what he runs for a turbocharger now, because he is able to spool up 15lbs right after 3000rpm (I believe 3250ish) and sustain that through 6000rpm. Maybe its just me being anal about how "soon" the rush hits. lol, some vids would be cool!

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

This is the result after some tuning and cranking the boost a bit.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what did the horsepower and torque curve look like?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure, never had it on a dyno.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't like that curve. It takes way too long to get in the boost. You're giving up a LOT of torque.

Unless you are a drag racer and spinning it to 8 grand, I would put a much smaller turbo on.

Boost pressure is a measure of restriction....

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't like that curve. It takes way too long to get in the boost. You're giving up a LOT of torque.

Unless you are a drag racer and spinning it to 8 grand, I would put a much smaller turbo on.

Boost pressure is a measure of restriction....
I know all of these things....

I wish is spooled sooner. I used to run the IHI turbo from the 87-88 T-bird. That turbo spooled really quickly. But it ran out of steam really quickly and can't move more than about 250 RWHP worth of air.

Keep in mind that I am nowhere near the boost/flow limit of this turbo. It'll push 38 psi relatively efficiently and flow enough for 450-500 RWHP. So no, I'm not utilizing this turbo to it's max potential, and I know that.
And yes, you have to flog it to get max performance, and it's not for everybody, but when the boost is turned up to 27-28# it's an absolute screamer.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ran a Holset HY-35 which I thought had a similar exhaust housing but I'm pretty sure full boost was at least 1k earlier on a my 2.3 Mustang. Any chance you have either have an exhaust leak pre turbo or the wastegate is leaking?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals