• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bobbed Bed on '89 Long bed Ranger???

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the deal...I have an '89 Ranger long bed and I'm tired of the damn bumper and quarter panels dragging on everything. I was recently given a short bed for free. I would like to take the back half of the short bed off, cut my bed off where needed, then weld on the shortbed rear half. I wouldn't use the other bed, but it was free, is now sitting in my yard, and this would eliminate some of the clean-up work after I'm done.

Question is, should I do it this way? Any ideas, comments, or pictures of the procedure would be appreciated.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just take 14'' out of the long bed.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't wanna bob the back of the bed because then there will be the bottom edge of the quarter panel and body line that I will have to try to re-align. It looks like it'd be quite the bitch. I'm still open for any ideas and pictures if any body has any. I wouldn't even mind just bobbing the bed I have if somebody can show me theirs so I can see how they lined it all up.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
haha that sounds like me.i got fed up with it and busted out the sawzall.i bobbed 8 inches out of the back of my 91 long bed a few months ago

i took a black marker and measured from the seam in the bed where the end cap meets the ribbed floor first then the out side and cut it out then took a strip from this and used it as a backing for the joint and screws to hold it together before welding.easier than trying to butt weld the sheet metal and it won't crack.it wasen't that hard to get the lower part to line back up i straightened the fold and bent it so they lined up

you can see how close the shakle mount is to the end of the frame i coulden't bob it more than about 8 inches since i diden't want to notch the reinforcing rib under the bed that holds the bedside together.you can't really see the front rib in ther pic just the notch in the frame for the rear one

you should move the leaf spring mounts forward so the shortbed wheel opening lines up and bob the bed on it.that way you shorten the wheelbase to not high center as much and tuck in that rear bumper at the same time

then you would need to get shortbed fuel lines and gas tank though,and mess with other things like e brake,etc

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I kinda like the wheelbase the way it is. I just want to shorten up what's behind the rear axle. I really appreciate the pics and info. That truck looks sick bobbed. That's what I'm hoping my truck looks like once I'm done. How much lift, and what size tires you got on that thing?

Edit: I found it in your sig. Sorry!

Last edited:

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

There is your bumper... put a 4" hitch hole in it and call it good. then bob your frame behind the shackles...

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
search is your friend.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14022

If you take 14" out, you will end up with the rearmost holes at the middle holes mounting location on the frame. Take and cut the frame right after the shackle hangers, and make sure you weld in a new crossmember, or your frame will do this /\ everytime you flex. It would be a little more work if you don't have your wheelwells cut, but with them cut, it's a breeze. The worst part is getting the top style line to line up, but with a chisel hammer and dolly, you can improvise. The bottom just gets cut and a new flange bent in.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
search is your friend.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14022

If you take 14" out, you will end up with the rearmost holes at the middle holes mounting location on the frame. Take and cut the frame right after the shackle hangers, and make sure you weld in a new crossmember, or your frame will do this /\ everytime you flex. It would be a little more work if you don't have your wheelwells cut, but with them cut, it's a breeze. The worst part is getting the top style line to line up, but with a chisel hammer and dolly, you can improvise. The bottom just gets cut and a new flange bent in.
you cut out the reinforcing ribs at the back of the bed to clear the frame?

it could use a wider rear bumper but i like it.i would have cut further but i wanted to keep it all bolt on without drilling the shackle rivets.as it is with the long bed you highcenter first anyway

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
91rokkrawler- I can always count on you to be a smart-ass. Don't forget, I know where you sleep, work, wheel, and eat. JUST JOKIN'!

Loanranger- Thanks for the info and link to your build. I'll definitely use a lot of what you did. I can't quite go as short as you did though. Soon my truck will be getting 63" Half-Ton leaves, shackles, custom bump-stops and the factory blocks removed.
As for using the search function, it's simple...I always forget it's there.

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
you cut out the reinforcing ribs at the back of the bed to clear the frame?

it could use a wider rear bumper but i like it.i would have cut further but i wanted to keep it all bolt on without drilling the shackle rivets.as it is with the long bed you highcenter first anyway
This is a picture of the piece I cut out of the bed. You basically cut right in front of the reinforcement for the center bed bolts. Then cut just at the end of the short ribs on the floor. A couple of the ribs are shorter on the floor, so you cut about a 1/4" in front of where the rib drops off. If you overlap the floor, this will bring your rearmost crossmember of the bed to where the middle one was. This way you can just bolt the bed on with the frontmost bolts, and the rearmost bolts, which are now in the middle holes in the frame. The only notching I did was the bottom flange of the tailgate, and used 3/8" thick washers under the back of the bed. This will allow the tailgate to still open, and not rub on the frame.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wanna sell that shortbed?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
The only notching I did was the bottom flange of the tailgate, and used 3/8" thick washers under the back of the bed. This will allow the tailgate to still open, and not rub on the frame.
i can see how spacers would give you just enough to clear the hangers.

i drilled new holes in the frame for the j nuts and rear cross member

great cheap truck challenge build that you and your dad have going

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
low_five- I'd love to sell the bed if somebody were willing to drive to Oregon to come get it. It's probably going to the wrecking yard tomorrow though. Landlord is flipping out!

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
i can see how spacers would give you just enough to clear the hangers.

i drilled new holes in the frame for the j nuts and rear cross member

great cheap truck challenge build that you and your dad have going
Yeah, I had thought about going about it a few different ways, but decided this would be the easiest, and had thought about saving the old crossmember, but I had the 2x4 steel left over from the trailer I built, and needed somewhat of a bumper to attach a tow point to, so that's what it got. Thanks for the comment too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals