• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blown 350 in ranger

2fast4you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Automatic
my 302 is almost done and i'm getting a 350 that i'm gonna build over the winter time, its going to have a 8-71 blower running nitro.. i know that i'm gonna need custom motor mounts and headers but is there anything else i should watch out for??

or has this ever been done before?

i think i've lost my mind doing this

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Use a 350ci and you'll get what you're asking for, a blown up 350 literally :). j/k. My old step dad had 3-4 350s laying around, each with spun rod bearings. But in defense he was wondering why I was using a torque wrench on rods and mains... I actually have SBC 327 in a '85 Grand Prix, but it's getting sold for a full roller swap in my '88, so I am not a Chevy hater, I just dislike Dodge products. Dodges are like computers, nothing but problems.

I am pretty sure this has been covered before, but I really didn't pull anything up on the search. I don't want to point you away from this forum, but ranger power sports has a sticky regarding exactly what you're after. Hopefully someone from this board, or possibly yourself, could do a write-up regarding the swap.

Pete

2fast4you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yea i'll be doing a write up on this when i'm done and i'll have alot of pics of the process... my main worry is the ranger frame.. i'm going have too box it in completly. i'd rather stay with ford power but i dont know if they make a 6-71 or 8-71 blower for ford.. i'm hoping to be around the 1500 to 1800hp on nitro... i'm sinking everything i have in too this motor.. i havent done any research on this yet for the ranger but i figured this would be the best place to start, so any info would be helpfull...

i'll sit down tonight and play with the motor set up on desktop dyno and when i get it set up i'll post the numbers

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
:DSummit Racing stocks Detroit style blower kits for 302's. All you have to do is look or ask.:nono:

gfbgreaser289

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
turd
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
if your goingt to use chevy power build and s10.

2fast4you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Automatic
what if i wanna build a ranger and put a chevy power in there?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, btw, for some reason people around hear dont seam to like chevys goin into ford trucks. I say have'at'er. Do somthing different.

macdaddy31516

October STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
first off , the front suspension will have to be beefed up, not to mention the frame as well.all that power and torque, you will twist it like a pretzel.but hey!, too much is never enough right?:icon_thumby:

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the black interceptor in the mad max movies was a 351c with a 671 blower on it. Now that would be cool to see in a ranger!

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just throw in pics. I'm interested.

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
frame-might as well go with a custom tube frame(if you are putting on an 8-71 and running nitro then money is no object) instead of beefing up something that is 20something years old

rear end-expect to shell out a few paychecks for either a custom built currie or to have a stock 9 inch built up for you

transmission-get used to waving goodbye to your wallet cuz this is gonna be a pricey item too

suspension-go with a good 4-link for the ultimate in control

driveshaft-expect to pay a couple hundred for a custom-made driveshaft that can handle that amount of power

bushings/nuts and bolts-everything will need urathane bushings and when you start adding up everything else you will need and the amount of shops you will be visiting in the end it wont be worth it. in my opinion, build whatever motor you want up to 550 hp and stuff that in a ranger, that will be more fun and broken parts than you can handle. trust me, im speaking from knowing a guy with a blown 460 making 800 hp in a purpose built, tube framed,4-linked 100,000 dollar race truck, you wouldn't believe how much more time he spent repairing broken parts vs. driving it( not too mention how much he spent on it). once you bolt that blower on you step up into a completly different ballgame.make sure you are ready to pay to play.

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i'm sinking everything i have in too this motor..

have fun paying for the rest of it.....1800 hp?? 2000 ft./lbs of torque??:icon_rofl: you make me laugh dude.....compition monster trucks are making 1500-2200 and half of them blow the motor or tranny before their freestyle run is up!!! and these are companies who have 60,000 invested in the motor...dont ruin your kids future man....:idiot:

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why Chevy

Why go with a chevy motor when you already have a ford. And if you want something thats 50 cubic inches more than your 302 why dont you just go with a 351w. Second I hope this 350 you are getting is a $6,000 race block. There is no way a production 350 block is going to handle over 800 horsepower let alone 1500, I can see the main caps ripping off and 2 inch chips out of the concrete in your garage when the rods shoot through the oil pan and hit the floor. But if you have an unlimited budget good luck...

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Put a 460 stroked to 557 in it... lots easier and more reliable to obtain the power numbers you desire...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals