• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BII trans ID and swap help

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
here we go:

i read the sticky so this is what i know

i have an 87 BII 4X4, need to go see trans code on door to provide that info.
shifter has 4 bolts.

i got a replacement trans, guy said it was from an 88 ranger 4X4, shifter has 3 bolts.
sticker in the side is F27A
ZA
A996236

i found a cross reference to this # that shows M5R1 4.0L

do yall know if this is a direct swap for my truck.

I should be able to get the trans code today and come back here.

thank you in advance

Gunmetalbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I am doing the same thing on mine.
Here is what you will run in to which is no
real big deal.
If your trans case was manually shifted you need to look
at your extension housing on your new unit to make sure
it has the two holes to bolt up linkage if not you will not
be able to shift you t-case manually without getting a new
extension housing.
When installed the assembly is a couple inches longer
and you will have to move your crossmember back a couple of
inches.
you will need a new shift lever.
you will also need a new clutch slave as the old one usually
doesn't fit the m5r1 trans.
Everything else is easy.

It will bolt up to the engine however.

Hope this helps

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for that input, need the advice.

trans code on it is "D".

new one came with shift lever so thats nothing.

i kind of expected new one to be a bit longer, remember that from previous driveshaft swap. the driveshaft i had made for this truck looks like it will shorten a little without a problem. . ( i had it made with longer slip shaft for future lift)

the guy i bought it from says he has the slave cylinder and throw out arm but cant reach him. probly get a new slave anyhow and maybe order a throwout arm.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
here we go:

i read the sticky so this is what i know

i have an 87 BII 4X4, need to go see trans code on door to provide that info.
shifter has 4 bolts.

i got a replacement trans, guy said it was from an 88 ranger 4X4, shifter has 3 bolts.
sticker in the side is F27A
ZA
A996236

i found a cross reference to this # that shows M5R1 4.0L

do yall know if this is a direct swap for my truck.

I should be able to get the trans code today and come back here.

thank you in advance
the trans you have received is not quite a direct swap but is well worth making the whatever shanges are required to make it fit.

The list of things you will need to change start with:
1) BOTH driveshafts, the rear driveshaft for the mazda is
shorter and the front shaft is longer.
2) relocate the transmission crossmbeber to the set of holes that are ~2" to the rear
3)REPLACE the catalytic converter heat shield with one from any 1988-94 Ranger/Explorer/Bronco2 (it is trimmed differently and the early one WILL rub against the trans and make a truely horrific racket)
4) you will need to rpelace the bolted in "floor plate" that your shift boot is mounted to with one from a Mazda equipped truck.

5)with the front seats out of your vehicle and with the carpets rolled back, Using that replacement floor plate as a template place the two rear bolt
s in to hold the plate in place and trace the front of the plate wiuth a sharpie marker... now, drawing a second line 3/4" inside the outer line extend the hole in the floor (under where the plate goes)

The ammout of material you will need to remove is only slightly larger than a postcard but it needs to be done.

IF you have a manual shift transfer case you will need a different transfer case shifter.

AD

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok now I am a bit confused. This is a bit of a thread highjack and I will appoligize in advance but I am in the middle of a 4.0/M5od swap in my 88 BII that originally had a 2.9 and fm146. I put the tranny in first with the x-member in the original place and used the original trans mount too. Then I got the motor in and bolted to the trans and the motor mounts. Only problem I have found is the shifter housing doesn't line up with the original floor plate hole-to far forward-thus the reason I am on here reserching this. If the M5od is longer and you have to move the x-member back some how did mine just bolt up as normal? My M5od does have the bolt holes for the transfer case shifter, does that make the difference why I didn't have to move anything? Also, couldn't I just use my same transsfer case shifter and modify the shifter hole and boot setup without changing the transfer case shifter? Thanks for any advice.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Ok now I am a bit confused. This is a bit of a thread highjack and I will appoligize in advance but I am in the middle of a 4.0/M5od swap in my 88 BII that originally had a 2.9 and fm146. I put the tranny in first with the x-member in the original place and used the original trans mount too. Then I got the motor in and bolted to the trans and the motor mounts. Only problem I have found is the shifter housing doesn't line up with the original floor plate hole-to far forward-thus the reason I am on here reserching this. If the M5od is longer and you have to move the x-member back some how did mine just bolt up as normal? My M5od does have the bolt holes for the transfer case shifter, does that make the difference why I didn't have to move anything? Also, couldn't I just use my same transsfer case shifter and modify the shifter hole and boot setup without changing the transfer case shifter? Thanks for any advice.

AllanD just explained the entire process in his post. I suggest reading that first and then revising your questions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals