• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beach Driving the 2WD

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for opinions and tips on this. I have no experience driving on sand but am about to embark on a beach camping trip with my stock 2wd gen 2. This may entail a mile or two of driving down a beach to find a camping spot.

Now some people would have me believe that unless a 2WD is a serious pre-runner, it'll all but keel over dead at the very site of a beach. Then others act as though driving on a beach is about as simple as a mall parking lot. Obviously the truth is somewhere in between, but with no personal experience it's hard for me to judge.

Bottom line is, I'm hitting the beach. Do you think I should plan on a long walk, or do you think I'll be alright on two wheels with proper driving style? And what about that style? Some say take is slow, some say clip along in high gear to keep from digging in, some say air-down, others say keep 'em full.

I'm particularly curious because when I got this truck many many people told me it'd be worthless in any bit of mud, but in fact it does alright for itself. That makes me kind of skeptical of the beach nay-sayers but I don't want to get cocky as I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Oh and one more thing. How about getting unstuck from sand? Am I right in thinking it'll be harder than in mud or gravel? Any words from the wise will be greatly appreciated on all of these matters. Thanks guys!

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
air down, wider tires dont sink as bad. mabey find some wider tires for the trip? incase you get stuck, best thing is 2x4's shoved under the wheels, 2x6 or 2x8s work better. and never drive over the same ruts.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
A lot of it depends on the type of sand. Soft sugar sand would be a nightmare to try to dig out of, but I wouldn't expect much of that on our beaches.

Wide tires help a lot, as well as airing down SOME. Running 5psi on radial tires is, IMHO, stupid. I wouldn't think that airing down past 25 or 30 psi would really gain you anything on normal radial tires. Now if you run some off-road tires with nice big side lugs and beadlocks, why certainly air down as far as your heart desires.

Going pedal to the floor all out is probably a good way to get stuck for sure if you are not experienced driving in sand. All it would take would be to hit a soft dune that slows your progress and you'll dig to the axle in no time.

Starting out will likely be your toughest, you DO NOT want to start spinning the tires on sand. It looks really cool until you're out there with a shovel and trying to find something solid to stick under the tires.

IMHO, a couple sections of ribbed conveyor belt would be ideal for a device to get you out of a sticky spot. But you might be able to get away with something like old truck mudflaps or some heavy duty floor mats or the like.

A floor jack and some pieces of heavy duty plywood may work to jack the truck up if you get stuck, then you can fill in the hole too. Never hurts to have a back up plan.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you're just going on the beach and it's fairly flat I wouldn't worry about it too much, I've driven my fwd Subaru Justy on the beach. Things to know, if you go on dry sand don't stop and keep momentum, also stick to the damp/harder sand (not fresh wet, that'll get things all salt wattery, not good) and it's just like driving on a freshly paved road. I wouldn't get too hung up on driving on sand just go prepared with a shovel and maybe a couple scraps of wood like the other guys mentioned

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
thanks

Sounds good you guys. thanks for your help

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bring a tow strap too- you can find someone to pull you out easy if you already have one hooked up and ready to pull. My ranger has limited slip and it is horrible in sand. I parked where everyone else did and it started to spin just a bit as I eased into a parking spot- so I stopped right then leaving the ass stuck out a bit. When I left it took several back and forths to get it out of that spot. Above posts are correct, try not to spin or it will be halfway to china in 2 seconds. Damp sand is firmer, stay on the travelled portions of beach.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/89
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.8lt v6 2.5lt four bangr
Transmission
Automatic
low gear low tire pressure in back an rock it out if you get stuck, I have got my 2wd ranger out this way plenty of times even with bald tires...

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
2x4's, a shovel, a tow strap, air down to 10 psi, wider tires, feather the gas but dont ride the clutch (if its manual), keep up your speed, stay in 1st or 2nd gear, try to keep it around 3000 rpms.

getting stuck sucks... (haha i just got stuck last week in soft sand cause i forgot to air down)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Personally I don't care for using 2x4 and the like for traction aids. Not after seeing one get launched over 30' or so in the air. That is why I suggested the rubber mudflap/conveyor belt/floor mat - not only are they a little less areodynamic, but they will also give your tire something to grip onto.

I do usually carry a selection of 2x4, 2x6, 2x10, 4x4 and plywood blocks with me, but that's mostly for blocking tires, temporary jackstand, or providing something solid to set a jack or jackstand on.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, what beach you going to MrTin? I just got back from Port Aransas and the beaches there were good to drive on right now. I've been there other times when the sand was so soft it felt like driving through Jello. I just kept the momentum up through those patches and never had any issues.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
my only suggestion would be..........

bring a CAMERA.............

:yahoo:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals