• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Baofeng Radios

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's pretty close to total chaos right now. I feel like there's about one or 2 strands left on the winch cable and the truck (metaphorical society) is so deep in the mud were gonna need a bigger boat.
I’m hearing ya.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My offroad club uses UV-5R radios (and other Baofengs) exclusively...we have for quite a few years. One of our club members programmed them to have the legal non-Ham channels - I believe they are GMRS? or FRS? I don't recall but it was researched extensively and what we are using does not require a license. Other frequencies on the old UV-5Rs do require a license.

Speaking from about 15 years of experience with these things - they work about as well as CB, maybe a little better. If you are in a canyon or hilly country they may only have a usable range of a couple hundred yards. Line of sight might be a mile or two in the very best conditions. External antennas mounted on your vehicle help... that defeats the purpose of a handheld though... if you have two handhelds with stock antennas being used inside vehicles, the range is not good. Half a mile or so maybe.

There are also some significant quality issues. I'm guessing 25% or more of the radios we got quit working at some point. Some won't transmit, won't receive, or both. Pretty high failure rate but not surprising, I think we were paying like $12 per radio back in the day and they are only $18 now.

I have a Juentai 25w dual band stationary radio in my Explorer and I am super pleased with it - I have a pretty nice antenna and both the transmit & receive range is excellent. I'm guessing 10-15 miles at least, maybe more. You can't get this radio anymore though.

If I was starting from scratch I would be looking at Midland GMRS radios... great quality and legal to use.

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
My offroad club uses UV-5R radios (and other Baofengs) exclusively...we have for quite a few years. One of our club members programmed them to have the legal non-Ham channels - I believe they are GMRS? or FRS? I don't recall but it was researched extensively and what we are using does not require a license. Other frequencies on the old UV-5Rs do require a license.

Speaking from about 15 years of experience with these things - they work about as well as CB, maybe a little better. If you are in a canyon or hilly country they may only have a usable range of a couple hundred yards. Line of sight might be a mile or two in the very best conditions. External antennas mounted on your vehicle help... that defeats the purpose of a handheld though... if you have two handhelds with stock antennas being used inside vehicles, the range is not good. Half a mile or so maybe.

There are also some significant quality issues. I'm guessing 25% or more of the radios we got quit working at some point. Some won't transmit, won't receive, or both. Pretty high failure rate but not surprising, I think we were paying like $12 per radio back in the day and they are only $18 now.

I have a Juentai 25w dual band stationary radio in my Explorer and I am super pleased with it - I have a pretty nice antenna and both the transmit & receive range is excellent. I'm guessing 10-15 miles at least, maybe more. You can't get this radio anymore though.

If I was starting from scratch I would be looking at Midland GMRS radios... great quality and legal to use.
I have 2 of these now, so I'll be doing a real life range test soon. I have a CB and a handheld and the best I got with it was 5km (3 miles) with trees in the way but as soon as the mountain blocked line of sight at was all over.

I'll do the same test with these. Each one has 3 antennas so I'll try them all and in different configurations.

I've been picking up helicopter chatter from over 100km away. And the Fire Center I catch is about 15km away with a mountain in the way.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

They could be MURS channels. There are five of them and none of them require a license. The same with FRS channels.

Technically, since the UV5R is a ham radio, even using those frequencies is a violation due to the equipment. For a while, before most of us in the Search Rescue Group got our licenses, we were using channel 5. It had a better chance of busting through the vegetation and giving the best range.

If you use the quick disconnect fasteners with the two side locking prongs for your vehicle antenna and the rubber duck, it will make switching between the two antennas more user friendly.

I’m still working on that myself. Too many projects going at one time and not enough money to do them all. LOL

EDIT: I believe the two side prong adapters are called BNC to SMA. You would have to look at your antenna and the radio to see if they are SMA male or SMA female. If I remember correctly, the UV5R is male and the antenna is female.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Probably off-topic, but how about weather band? Some cars I had like Saab had this standard now you never see it.

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Probably off-topic, but how about weather band? Some cars I had like Saab had this standard now you never see it.
When I worked on the coast we had a weather band and it was absolutely necessary to pay attention to it. And all the marine radio traffic would make calls home through a service called Coast Cone. It was an operator who would patch the radio through to a landline (cellphones didn't exist yet). So the whole west coast would get to hear every lonely husband call home to his wife. Sometimes it would get a little spicy haha

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
As long as you know the frequencies, you can program them into the radio. You don’t need a dedicated radio for weather band.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals