• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bald Mt (VA) approach from other side

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
F.S road 180 hooks to 179 at top of mt. Didn't make it that far, bummer, looks like I'd need a lift and bigger tires.

On the way there, Craig Creek.
IMG_3374.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3375.JPG

Stopped here. Maybe hard to see in pic, but looked problematic. Could see where somebody bottomed on it. Other tracks showed other approach of going way right and straddling the ditch, looked like they had military-tread tires. Don't want to slide off the left, there's nothing there but a drop-off. Call me chicken, but being by myself with no cell service, I'd rather not chance it.
IMG_3376.JPG

Got up this fine, you can see truck up there where I stopped. Short wheelbase is nice for having to turn around.
IMG_3379.JPG

Still pretty, though, even though I didn't get as high as approaching from the other side.
IMG_3377.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

Craig Creek Rec Area, cool rocks
IMG_3381.JPG

Using the suction cups for low tie-downs, works surprisingly well. Can stash/unstash stuff in a few seconds and nothing flops around. Maybe not the ideal solution, but for $10 works pretty nice. For these little trips I just pack some food, table and chairs, and go, everything else I might want stays in the tool box or behind the seats in boxes that fit the space there and come even to the back of it. The more times I go the better and easier it gets to pack the few things I add to take. Vicky says if she complains "we never do anything" to her mom, her mom sends her back pictures she sent of the trips, lol.
Beautiful day. The Ranger is doing just what I got it for, except, I hate stopping at iffy places but I don't know if lift/bigger tires would help or how much. There are a ton of F.S. roads within an hour of here so I just keep trying different ones.

Last edited:

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could have gone through all of that if you had MT tires and a rear locker.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
As with anything, there is a learning curve. I think you would have been able to get through that with the right line.

Not to say that being on the cautious side is a bad thing. When in doubt, better to turn around or find another way than get stuck with no way to get help except for a long walk.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Better safe than sorry. Beautiful pictures.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You always want someone else with you in a 2nd vehicle when you are doing those remote adventures.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Pretty country.

Nothing wrong with going just as far as you want to.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Not sure about MT's. I wasn't willing to give up highway performance for them, otherwise I'd have gone there. I don't think the issue was so much grip (and I could air down and try that if it were) as clearance, taking a line that kept me away from the edge. I agree, probably I could have got up there but I guess the way I see it is if I'm something like 80% sure it's ok I do it but it doesn't take a real high guesstimate percentage for me to back down. In that particular place, my concern would be damaging something underneath, or, being stuck. Or taking what looks like a good line except what if you slide off the edge.
I suppose you could take rocks and dirt and fill in low places. Maybe.
Having another guy with me would make a lot of difference because even in worst case you get stuck you will have a ride then send a wrecker after it. Hopefully that never happens but I did mention to my passenger "you can have breakdowns and have to walk back" not to put too fine a point on it.
I don't have a winch but if I did I think I'd (a) put better hitch on the back, and maybe an aftermarket bumper (like AOR etc.), and (b) keep the winch in the tool box and have the mount to attach it to the hitch. Then later maybe I'd put a hitch in front then I could use it there. Just thinking what might be good for future upgrades.
I wouldn't mind having like 35" tires but then it's lots of mods.
I could get another set of wheels and put 31" MT's on them I suppose and swap them on sometimes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals