• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Balancing 302 help

DeanMLFlame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L, 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Why did ford use a 28oz imbalance on the flywheel, balancer, etc...It is cuz of the firing order causing stress on the front main cap

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's the amount used to dynamically balance the rotating assembly. It's got nothing to do with stress on the #1 main. In 1969 when Ford designed the 351W & C motors, they changed the firing order to lessen the stresses on the #1 main, but again they used the same imbalance factor for these motors too. The switch to the 50 oz imbalance was done when they decided to remove more of the counterweights from the 5.0 cranks. This was likely done to reduce manufacturing costs more than anything. They removed something like 18 pounds off the counterweights (not 100% on that figure, but it was discussed somewhere else on the net, if not here and that's the figure I recall) 18 pounds of iron really adds up when you're casting thousands of cranks a year.

DeanMLFlame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L, 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so when i have my crank balanced, will i need to bring the balancer and flexplate?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, always bring ALL the rotating assembly parts. Rings, bearings, rods, pistons, crank balancer, flywheel (or flexplate) and the bolts that hold anything to the crank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals