• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad tapping/clicking ... mechanic says not worth it

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My beloved 4.0L w/ 175k miles has developed a loud ticking sound. Well, actually I first noticed it a couple years ago, but back then it wasn't as loud. Here's a video of what it was like back then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyVEfqCKTLc

At the time I thought it might be an exhaust leak. It seemed to get better as the engine warmed up, and I and figured it will get worse and I'll get it fixed eventually.

This summer the noise started getting worse and it no longer improves after warming up, so I took it to my mechanic. He said it's not an exhaust leak but something internal. He guessed it was a camshaft bearing going. I asked about fixing it. He said he could dig into it, but that once you go into it that you should then fix other things and those lead to other things while you're there and that it just wasn't worth it for such an old engine. Here's what it sounds like now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNFoY5d4JaA

So my questions are: 1) what's it sound like to you? and 2) any opinions on whether it's worth it to fix? I love this truck and especially love the power of the engine, but obviously wouldn't want to sink money into a pit. Even if this is fixed something else could go right after it. I haven't had to put much into it, but it does have new brakes and tires, and the body is in great shape.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a bad lifter tick. When was your last oil change? What oil are you running?

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the timing chain guides are shot. If it is then its not an easy job, bank 2 can be done in vehicle but bank 1 guides are on the back of the engine and the whole thing has to come out to get at them.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a bad lifter tick. When was your last oil change? What oil are you running?
It's a SOHC engine not a OHV. It has followers not lifters. I agree with KMC it sounds like timing chain guides are worn or broke.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My bad I wasn't aware, it just sounded like the lifter ticks I had on my miata

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My bad I wasn't aware, it just sounded like the lifter ticks I had on my miata
You was right...sometimes they don't give a full description of what truck they have and we have to look at the information on the left.

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
so if it's the timing change guides what's the prognosis untreated?

as for oil, 5w-30 I believe. just bad it changed.

what would cause the guides to go, and how much would a fix be? is it worth it?

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
also any suggestion for getting the most life out of it I can?

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so if it's the timing change guides what's the prognosis untreated?

as for oil, 5w-30 I believe. just bad it changed.

what would cause the guides to go, and how much would a fix be? is it worth it?

Untreated the timing chain will probably break and leave you stranded somewhere.

The guides wear out and eventually break, what you are most likely hearing is the chains getting pulled across or slapping against the pins that the guides sit on.

Fixing it isn't cheap. There are special tools needed to hold the cams in place. If you bought the tools and parts, pulled the engine yourself and did them you are looking at around $500, more if things start breaking. Way more if a shop does the work.

Here's an idea of what the timing chain setup looks like.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree that it is timing chain noise. Left untreated it WILL kill the engine. When exactly is anyone's guess. However, Ford has a revised tensioner set out. I would try installing that before doing anything else. All that is required is to remove the intake and replace the two tensioners, which is literally as simple as replacing a bolt.

I know it sounds like hokum, but I have seen the new set quiet up engines that we thought were moments from turning into an expanding cloud of parts.

The book time to replace both timing cassettes is 25 hours. Last time I did it in about 23. I worked on it for 3 days straight and finished up about 4 pm on the 3rd day.

I would do that FAST though. The order of failure is tensioner gets weak, then the chains begin to slap because they are loose. The chains slapping tear up the guides. Once the guides are gone the chain runs on the guide pin and tears both of them up. The pin survives, the chain comes apart and lets the valves go limp. Then, because it is an interference engine you can forget about fixing it and start calling around to bone yards for a new engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals