• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad shake/miss at cruising speeds

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have a 2002 Ranger 3.0 with over 200k miles. I have always had a miss or rough idle since I bought it at 190k miles. Also I get a squeal at start up but on wet or damp days it squeals for a long time like a belt noise? Now I latley had a engine light say cylinder 2 miss, that went away and then had a cylinder 4 miss. Plugs and wires and heads are all new as off 190k and good compression. Now I have no engine light but at cruising speeds I get a violent shake but if I hammer the gas it goes away. First thought of unbalanced tires but it happens at 20mph or 60mph it doesnt seem to matter. Also the truck seems to have a real hard time to even stay at a constant 65mph. Any help would be great. Thank You.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Check for Syncor shaft failure. Easy test, remove serpintine belt and start engine (only ofr a minute) if you here a squeal the its the syncro shaft, if not its just belt and pulleys. It is also the one unit that can have error codes but not throw a CEL as it Cam position sensor on the syncro shaft is not monitored fro faults or errors above 2500rpm.

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A little update: It only shakes/misses real bad at 1800-2100 RPM but does idle pretty rough as well.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd do a fuel pressure check. 50-65psi. Try to see if roughness is one cylinder or all. Disconnect one plug wire at a time to see if one cylinder shows no change. How does it behave going up hill under load?

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ill check fuel pressure. As far as under load yes kind of. If you keep on the gas to try and maintain speed at those R's it really shakes for example if I put it on cruise during the miss it will keep missing. But as soon as I do the slightess accel or decel it instantly stops missing as severe.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But as soon as I do the slightess accel or decel it instantly stops missing as severe.
I'm wondering if a faulty TPS may be doing this? It wouldn't hurt to check it for smooth resistance/volt readings as you slowly depress/release accelerator. You can try to mimic your pedal movements and see if there is unaccounted for fluctuation.

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Checked TPS and it is perfect.

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found that after 5k on new plugs the plug in cylinder 2 wsa destroyed. I replaced it and nothing changed. I have spark but the plug is very wet. I tried swaping with the #6 cylinder and did not seem to make a difference?

twonole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Double check your firing order and check very carefully for burned wires. Also clean your MAF if you haven't already, it can make a world of difference.

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I did a compression check and it is ZERO. Did not even move the needle, the 1 and three cylinders are around 150. In my experience even a hole in the piston would give some compression so I am hopeing it is a stuck valve or something in the head maybe a bad cam lobe? Funny thing is yesterday on my way home it seemed to accelerate real well the last mile or so from home. I also could not get it to buck like it was and the idle seemed much smoother at a stop light. Once I pulled into the driveway though it was rough again but maybe half as bad. I will see how it goes today but thought that was weird.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals