• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3000 TDI swap

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Lots of progress now!

Since you have to drop the front diff to get to the driver side motor mount bolt anyway, figured it was a good time to clean up the 4.10 junkyard front end and put it in.

The adapter kit is set up to use a 4.0L clutch, flywheel, and trans. So I snagged a 2010 4.0L 5 speed trans as my truck was a 3.0L. I pulled both transmissions down to install my shorter 3.0L 1st-3rd gear in the 4.0L trans with all new syncros, bearings, and swapped over my tailhousing with t case linkage mounts. I use this as a work truck out in the woods, so I wanted the lower first gear (3.7 vs 3.4). The only difference I found between the two transmission is the spacer that goes between 5th and reverse. Otherwise, everything was identical.

Adapter kit mounted up perfectly!

Had a slight interference issue between the front diff and the passat oil pan, so off to the parts stash for a jetta oil pickup and pan!

Quick baffle

Much more betterer!

Looks so little in there :D

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Looking good. What gears do you need in the diffs to keep the tdi engine in the right rpm range?

I would like to do a diesel swap. But I don't want to have to buy new gears when I do it. Currently running 4.56 behind my 3.0l with 35" tires.

Eric B

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looking good. What gears do you need in the diffs to keep the tdi engine in the right rpm range?

I would like to do a diesel swap. But I don't want to have to buy new gears when I do it. Currently running 4.56 behind my 3.0l with 35" tires.

Eric B
Depends on tire size and what you intend to do with the truck. I use this for towing/hauling more than freeway driving. With the 32" tall tires and 4.10 gears, that puts me at 2550rpm at 75mph which is right in sweet spot to have enough power when towing/hauling a light load in 5th. A 2wd highway cruiser could get away with 2100rpm at 75mph and probably be just fine. As a general rule, the more weight/load on engine, run at higher rpm. Your gears/tire combination ends up at 2590rpm on the freeway which would be perfect also for a lifted truck on big tires.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whitbread, looking good man!

So a shorter pan and oil pickup tube is good to know. Also good to know about having to remove the front axle. I'll pickup a spare front and rebuild it before I have to pull mine off.

Before you bought the Passat engine, did you look at which block codes had the issues with throwing rods? My understanding is it was certain oil pumps supplied with those block codes that were the issue.

I've been looking for an aftermarket oil pump but haven't found any yet for the TDI.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depends on tire size and what you intend to do with the truck. I use this for towing/hauling more than freeway driving. With the 32" tall tires and 4.10 gears, that puts me at 2550rpm at 75mph which is right in sweet spot to have enough power when towing/hauling a light load in 5th. A 2wd highway cruiser could get away with 2100rpm at 75mph and probably be just fine. As a general rule, the more weight/load on engine, run at higher rpm. Your gears/tire combination ends up at 2590rpm on the freeway which would be perfect also for a lifted truck on big tires.
Whitbread could you share the formula you used to figure out the RPM’s for the gearing? I’m toying with the idea of putting the TDI in my BII.

My current daily driver is an 04 TDI Jetta and at 75 the RPM is around 2900. Do you know what the best RPM is for this engine? Thanks.

Steve

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You can use this chart in the tech articles section to get close. Then find out what the overdrive ratio is for the transmission you will be using and calculate your rpm at X speed in overdrive.

My question was about the "sweet spot" rpm for the tdi, which Whitbread answered for us. I was afraid it would be a higher rpm. This is good news and opens up more possibilities for me to consider.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Before you bought the Passat engine, did you look at which block codes had the issues with throwing rods? My understanding is it was certain oil pumps supplied with those block codes that were the issue.

I've been looking for an aftermarket oil pump but haven't found any yet for the TDI.
Not everything you read on the internet is true. There is no rod throwing issue with tdi's. I've run a euro diesel performance shop for a living for 10 years now and the only thrown rods on a tdi I've ever seen are from a previously hydrolocked bent rod finally giving up.

There is no oil pump upgrade needed. What you can do though is use a the BRM oil pump sprocket, chain, and tensioner to retrofit on any other tdi. It's a smaller sprocket so the pump gets overdriven.

My current daily driver is an 04 TDI Jetta and at 75 the RPM is around 2900. Do you know what the best RPM is for this engine? Thanks.
You must have an auto, I'm sorry haha. With a tuned ecu, I'd shoot for 2500-2800rpm at freeway speed. Running lower rpms only raises egt's and doesn't help overall fuel mileage.

Figured out a 2004 jetta accessory bracket works just fine! Oem oil filter/cooler housing just barely fit also. Got the modded oem jetta coolant bypass line wrapped around the backside of the motor too. The passat line didn't want to play happy.

A 2004 passat tdi fuel pump fits the ranger sending unit perfectly! Deleted the fuel pressure regulator and using evap line as fuel return. Took the evap line off the back end of the fuel tank and tee'd into the vent line for the gas tank so that section of the fuel tank will now fill with fuel.

Got the intercooler all done too. Made the end tanks out of 1/4" plate to handle the intended 60psi of boost.

Welded decent for a $112 chinese core

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn man, thats cold making fun of my auto. Lol. I bought the car used for my daughter. Tried to teach her to drive a standard but she never felt comfortable so an auto is what we got. After she finished college I got her a different car and I took over driving duties. I have thought numerous times about swapping in a manual but really don’t see the need when the auto is still working.

Where are you located?

Steve

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, Whitbread.

I'm getting stoked for my project watching yours progress!

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Is that a 3in core? I have to fab a bumber to fit a decent size cooler.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Little further than I would want to travel to have you do a little tune only ALH and take a look at the project your doing.

Steve

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Little further than I would want to travel to have you do a little tune only ALH and take a look at the project your doing.
Yeahhhhh, I'm a bit of a hike from Oklahoma. I can still tune the ecu for your alh if you mail it to me though!

Got the centers of all 4 rims opened up to clear the front locking hubs.

Old

Much more appropriate!:D

Got the hot pipe tacked up

Last edited:

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
nice so the drive turbo is controlled by the external WG?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals