• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 project idea

jrock24

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So my wifes car got totaled and we are talking about a replacement. Her dad had a B2 and she is kicking around the idea of getting one cheap and fixing it up.

She would need a auto tranny and a 6cyl. and 4x4.. It would get 30 MTs, and no lift.

We can get a cheap running B2 for cheap. So we would put in a crate or rebuilt motor and trans.

What motor / tranny combo would be best?

What years or what should I avoid?

Thanks,
Jason

jrock24

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Forgot to mention I have a 88 Full size bronco. I it has a I6 T18 BW 33ATs" with some custom work. So I am not new around Fords or Broncos, but B2s are what I am ready to tackle.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if it HAS to be auto c5 and nothing else...a4ld's SUCK period...just ask anyone on here :icon_rofl:

i love my little 2.9L its got enough power to move about realitively easily (tho im sure 4.10 gears help that)

i would do this

get said b2
if engine is good id find and drop in a c5
diff ratio wont matter cause 1:1 is ur highest gear on the c5 (will compliment 30's or 31's for highway really well)
also swap anything that isnt manual (besides tranny) to manual (t case and hubs)

then drive the piss out of it until u can get ur hot little hands on it :icon_welder::icon_thumby::yahoo:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
I agree with the statement about the C5 being ALOT better than the A4LD. The trouble with finding a c5 equipped BII is that they only exsisted for the first 2 years. You can also build a C4 to go in the BII. I think that the info is here, somewhere. I LOVE my little BII, and I have wheeled the snot out of it, and it is still going, allthough, the 2.8 is in desperate need of either a rebuild, or a replacement. Mine is a TK5, not an auto.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with the statement about the C5 being ALOT better than the A4LD. The trouble with finding a c5 equipped BII is that they only exsisted for the first 2 years. You can also build a C4 to go in the BII. I think that the info is here, somewhere. I LOVE my little BII, and I have wheeled the snot out of it, and it is still going, allthough, the 2.8 is in desperate need of either a rebuild, or a replacement. Mine is a TK5, not an auto.

I think what your thinking of is people taking a c5 and swapping in the c4 valve body and internals that way it keeps the same tail shaft and allows the use of the stock T-Case if you used a c4 you'd need an adapter to do that. But I agree that if it has to be an auto I'd start junk yard shopping around for one to get re-built cause the A4LD is a turd, I know some have had luck but I think thats few and far between. The 2.9 would probably be ok if you are just gonna run 30's but I would highly recommend swapping out the heads with the World Product heads as they went ahead and fixed the factory design flaws and aren't prone to cracking like the originals.

Hope that info helped and good luck :icon_cheers:

jrock24

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So a 2.9 and a C5.
Did that combo come stock in any year?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
A4LDs are fine IF they're well-maintained. (regular fluid/filter changes) The downfall is it would be pretty hard to tell if it was maintained, and 20 year old automatics are always a gamble, no matter what model it is.

:thefinger: <--To all you A4LD haters.

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no problems with my a4ld. it turned 20 this year with 136k miles on it! although i would rather have a c5 swapped in

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
oh i aint hating on a4ld's iv had 3 broncos with them my first dumped the pump seal and then gernaded itself....my second was rebuilt when i got it and i REALLY beat the piss outta that for 40 000 km's (drag racing, wheeling, burnouts, u name it) lotta hard kilometers on that one.

the one i currently own is rebuilt aswell...BRAND NEW fluid...maybe flushed? shifts are CRISP...tho i have an m5od in my garage for when i get all the parts together. im thinking spring swap...gotta cross canada road trip next summer!

jrock24

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So the C5 is out of a carbed B2, and I need to stick with FI. So I my plan is to get a B2, find a C5 in a JY and rebuild it. Get a 2.9 and mate them. Anyone here done that, if so can I get a link..

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't be in a rush to swap out an A4LD if it's still working. Just might be a good idea to have a C5 on hand as a contingency plan.

jrock24

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I love my b2 and there a lot of fun big personality and so many ways to go but if your project has some hiccups and the better half is left in a bad situation along the road somewhere.Your house will not be a happy house and cause a lot of fighting and make you miserable.At least talk about it ahead of time.
Not sure why you posted this twice, but in my first post I said its her idea. Thanks for the advise, we have AAA and no doubt will use it if the need occurs. :icon_cheers:

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Is the C5 a 4 speed?

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i believe its only a 3 speed with a final gear of 1:1 (a4ld is a 4 speed with od)

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i personally would try to find a 90 and do the 4.0 swap with an performance rebuilt a4ld out of the explorer with a better torque converter that trans should be plenty strong in a stock b2 with the 4.0 imo anyways

and maybe sum 4.10s just for fun lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals