• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
After another 15 min 12.81....is that normal for it to dip then recover like that after I've hooked the battery back up?

Last edited:

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
After another 15 minutes 12.64.....why the fluctuation once its hooked back up? After being hooked back up its read 12.67. 12.72. 12.81. 12.64 I DID open the door twice before the last 12.64 reading.........

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
When you connect the battery and some of the electronic control modules see power (mainly the battery saver relay circuit), they “wake up” and draw a tiny bit of power. After everything sits undisturbed for a while, those circuits go back to sleep mode and draw less power. Opening and closing the door, hood, etc. also wake up the circuits and they have to time out and go back to sleep.

When there is a load (current draw) on a battery, it’s voltage will drop - a little bit for a small load, more for larger loads. So, when testing for parasitic current draws, it is important not to disturb anything.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just tried to start it, got clicks, no go.....horn works,Dome light works

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
12.75 battery, no start....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does it click when trying to start?
Check connections.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Does it click when trying to start?
Check connections.
Yes, super quick clicks......horn works, radio works,headlights work.............starter problem maybe? I have it on charger to try to jump, no luck yet.....i have infected tooth and dentist appointment in 45 minutes, this sucks

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
You might check the battery cables for corrosion under the sheathing. I've seen cables that had solid green corrosion product from end to end and still look OK in the vehicle. That corrosion can cause a lot of resistance and voltage drop, especially during startup.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If Battery is at above 12.3v and you get "click, click, click" it means starter motor can't get the full 60amps it need
So larger positive battery cable or the larger negative battery cable does not have a good connection
Starter motor is the only reason for those two large cables

All the other electrics use smaller wires, i.e. horn, headlights, ect............so they can still work fine
Focus on the two larger battery cables

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I agree, the battery is good. There is a cable problem not allowing enough amperage to get to the starter. That could be either the positive cable or the negative cable. Heck, it could even be both.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I got it to jump just in time for me to make my dentist appointment so that's good.....it started out of the dentist and made it through a few more shut offs/starts........i found a little more crud on underside of cable eye and got rid of it before I jumped it this morning......my battery is good i guess but since it has a lil leakage on top caps i bought a new one, and bought a new alternator also since it has a ground fault.....I'll put them both in later this eve or tmrw morning............THEN if I have more trouble it shouldn't be either and I'll go from there, maybe take it to the good shop down the road .......thanks for the input I'll update until resolved

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can i metal wirebrush the neg connection a little more while the battery is hooked up? Will that do anything bad? I'm pretty sure i can do that.... I know a few of you are smiling right now lol.....im not afraid to ask what i need to know I'll just leave it at that ha...... I stress over crap like this cuz I'm in a somewhat rural area with no neighbors for jumpstarts and rides , no wife, no second vehicle......thankfully work is five minutes away and I have AAA.....I ride my bike two miles to the auto parts store, two miles back , when I have to........family is twenty miles away, they'd come in a heartbeat I just don't like asking .......trying to save for a cheap second vehicle....55 is too old to ride a bike to the auto parts store...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Can i metal wirebrush the neg connection a little more while the battery is hooked up? Will that do anything bad?
You're OK brushing the Negative side, connected. Just be careful that you don't have anything metallic contacting the Positive side connection to ground, or contacting between the Positive and Negative connections.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
And to all you guys that replied, if you ever have a weed eater, blower 2 cycle question, ask me i can probably help you.........two quick tips.....homelite blowers, watch for loose screws and if no power its most likely carbon buildup blocking the exhaust port, get tiny tiny screwdriver chip out the carbon, restoring the port opening to its original size, It's behind the muffler gotta take muffler off, two screws... it'll run like new again..........and echo weed eaters and stick edgers, no power is usually a clogged fuel filter, SOMEtimes clogged exhaust if cleaning the filter doesn't help......take the fuel filter off of fuel line, remove the clip thats holding felt filter in place with small screwdriver, spray felt filter with wd40 first, allow to sit five minutes, then spray it with brake cleaner, let it dry ten fifteen minutes.... then, in the filter housing, laying beneath where the felt filter goes, is a thing/prefilter that looks like a contact lense kinda....get that thing out of there with a tiny tiny screwdriver or needle type pick, not necessary, reinstall felt filter, put clip back on, reattatch filter to fuel line, done.................your machine will probably run like new.......of course you COULD just get a new filter for six bucks but why if you've got brake cleaner and wd.....and i don't like the prefilters.....if your gas and tank are clean you should be good, plus, the regular felt filters are very dense compacted felt, shaped like a pencil eraser, they work........i get non working machines from people and fix them for myself, i ALWAYS take out that prefilter and i never ever get clogged carburetors

Last edited:

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You're OK brushing the Negative side, connected. Just be careful that you don't have anything metallic contacting the Positive side connection to ground, or contacting between the Positive and Negative connections.
Thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals