• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axles for ranger(Debate)

2.3splash

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something, but the thread started out with a mention of taking out a dana 28 and installing a dana 30. And somehow it went straight to 1 ton running gear. I have a Bronco II with a 5.0L swap, dual t-cases and 35" tires. I have a dana 30 in the front and a 8.8 explorer in the rear. Now I don't think the dana 30 is the best axle for the job, but hanging 1 ton running gear under a truck with 35" tires is over kill with bad ground clearance. 1 ton running gear is designed to carry weight, it has improved torque compacity but most of that huge mass is about carrying a load. Is there a reason why a 44 with 9 or 8.8" dif has not been suggested for this build? It seems like the obvious choice.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Maybe I missed something, but the thread started out with a mention of taking out a dana 28 and installing a dana 30. And somehow it went straight to 1 ton running gear. I have a Bronco II with a 5.0L swap, dual t-cases and 35" tires. I have a dana 30 in the front and a 8.8 explorer in the rear. Now I don't think the dana 30 is the best axle for the job, but hanging 1 ton running gear under a truck with 35" tires is over kill with bad ground clearance. 1 ton running gear is designed to carry weight, it has improved torque compacity but most of that huge mass is about carrying a load. Is there a reason why a 44 with 9 or 8.8" dif has not been suggested for this build? It seems like the obvious choice.
The most obvious choice would actually be a D35 & 8.8" from an Explorer. The D35 is easily 95% of the D44's strength, the 8.8" stock-for-stock, matches quite well with the 9" too.
If all the time and effort is to be put forth into a full-fledged axle swap, going straight to one-tons would make the most sense, as the D44/9 (JMHO) don't have a whole lot to offer over the D35/8.8", which just bolt right in (well, the 8.8 needs leaf perches welded to it).
If "solid axle" is simply your thing, then maybe... but you can set up the TTB suspension to take you pretty much anywhere a D44 solid axle would take you (and then some, if you like to do it going fast). There is tons and tons of info around here for unlocking the mysteries about the TTB that tend to intimidate many.

With 35" tires, I do think the D35 & 8.8" would be plenty enough, unless he wants to be able to plant the throttle of that 5.0L on the floor constantly, in which case I would still suggest the D60/10.25".

Last edited:

hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 H.O
Transmission
Manual
Hey Hey,I greatly appreciate everyones inputs. And I prefer to go a little overkill as who knows what the future holds(I have a 347 stroker in my mustang:icon_idea:) I like the idea of a dana 60 up front. I will continue to look into a sterling or dana 60 for the rear. but as always $ is a very important issue. Personally Im gonna walk away from the gm axle idea. I am against cross breeding lol. My truck will just die with a GM transplant if not I will. Once again Ive learned alot and thanks for the help Rod

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I would have absolutely no problems with going 60 in the front and 14 bolt in the rear. the 10.5" 14 bolt diff can be shaved down. the carrier is ready made for a Detroit and as a result the detroit locker is cheaper for the 14 bolt than it is for the sterling or even the 8.8. They came from GM with 4.56 as an option and are as easily converted to disk brakes as the sterling. plus you can get a 4.56 locked 14 bolt from military surplus for $200.

the reasoning I have for 60/14b combo and 35's is some day I may want to go bigger....... always leave room to upgrade.

hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 H.O
Transmission
Manual
the reasoning I have for 60/14b combo and 35's is some day I may want to go bigger....... always leave room to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

The smartest thing Ive heard all day. Me personally have had no luck with G.M and been knocking them HARD for years. If I have a GM axle in my project truck I will be eating shit the rest of my life( I deserve it though). Plus its only money, I cant take it with me, and if I spend it the wife cant have it either:headbang:.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals