• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle width differences between stock 86 Bronco II and Explorer 31 spline and Dana 35

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I thought I had run across some information on here that outlined the width differences in these axles.

Maybe I didn't. So the question is... are the explorer front and rear axles wider? By how much?

I'm trying to not buy new wheels and just use my 7 inch wide 4.5 backspace Alcoas on the Bronco II. I would like a bit wider stance and I really don't want to use spacers.

Thanks for any help...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The rear axle on the Explorer is a bit wider because of the disc brakes but I can’t give you an exact dimension on how much wider.

I don’t think there is a difference in the front.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The Dana 35 is a little over an inch wider than the 28 if I remember right, on a Bronco II I think the explorer 8.8 is only about 3/4" wider since the BII 7.5" is wider than a Ranger... it's not enough to need to do anything goofy on a 4x4 like get new wheels or anything but they are a touch wider...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@scotts90ranger I seem to remember reading something elsewhere that says pretty much what you're saying. I know the only way for me to know is to go out and measure what I have. But then I don't have a stock unit to measure or the width numbers to compare the measurements to.

I'm really just trying to do some armchair engineering to determine how I'm getting the Bronco on 33x10.50's. For one... it keeps my mind off of my other problems in life... and I can't help but think about what @ecgreen said about his Bronco running stock wheels and 33x10.50 tires... "feels like the damn thing could tip over at any moment". While I'm up for new exciting driving experiences with the Bronco... I don't really want to white knuckle the damn thing everywhere I go.

I have a couple ways to do this... I'm just not sure the Alcoa wheels are the ones to use. I really want to widen the stance a little... can't help but think it will make it less tippy.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Uncle Gump,

It will add a solid ½" of length to each side's and the carrier will be offset a bit. You will need an Explorer flange to reuse your BII drive line with the Explorer 8.8.

Take your time relocating the new spring perches to get the most desirable pinion angle for your intended lift.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals