• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automotive technology you miss.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ah, but the super-secret key cycle can be found hidden in the depths of the forbidden Holy Tome titled "Owner's Manual", that only those deemed worthy by the high priest may access, and only then after passing the rigors and trials to prove his worth.
And the worthy ones are the service manager and techs at my local Ford dealership, right?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Ah, but the super-secret key cycle can be found hidden in the depths of the forbidden Holy Tome titled "Owner's Manual", that only those deemed worthy by the high priest may access, and only then after passing the rigors and trials to prove his worth.
I'll send you a tpms tool. Then you have literally nothing to complain about. Ford and GM are the same, chrysler is different pre fiat. Post fiat is different. I got them all. Everytime I go to work at a tire shop (welding) I grab a gizmo. How many you want?

I think my launch 431x does it without the cheapo gizmos but why bother. It's so simple!!!!!!
When we got my Wife's Fiesta ST it came with summer tires, so I ordered a set of snows and alloy wheels from Tirerack. I got the TPMS sensors and the tool. There is no procedure for swapping tires in the manual whatsoever, I had to find it on line but the only one I could find was written my morons unfamiliar with English.

All of the procedures say to properly inflate the tires first, but this does not work. You must inflate the tires somewhere north of 40psi before it will train, on both the factory and winter tires, which I had to work out for myself.

The training tool does not appear to work with the Hyundai.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Road flare in the filler neck. Will fix all Hyundai related issues.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Did anyone say mechanical odometers? Thought about that in the junkyard the other day. Irritates the crap out of me when I can't figure out how many miles are on a parts donor/victim.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did anyone say mechanical odometers? Thought about that in the junkyard the other day. Irritates the crap out of me when I can't figure out how many miles are on a parts donor/victim.
This X1000

Some things if it has been in a wreck the insurance tag has the mileage on the windshield. Otherwise you got nothing to go by.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This X1000

Some things if it has been in a wreck the insurance tag has the mileage on the windshield. Otherwise you got nothing to go by.
Quite a few times now I've thought about picking up one of those small, crappy amazon jump boxes to check miles on donors.

I stop myself every time.

I know myself. I will try to drive a parts Ranger out of the yard. Or just fire one up and use it to gather a small horde.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Scumbags ruined that for everyone. Like most things... can't blame car makers for that one, they were just tired of being sued for odometer fraud.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I miss the days when people didn't whine about old bullshit. You know, when I was young myself..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
When we got my Wife's Fiesta ST it came with summer tires, so I ordered a set of snows and alloy wheels from Tirerack. I got the TPMS sensors and the tool. There is no procedure for swapping tires in the manual whatsoever, I had to find it on line but the only one I could find was written my morons unfamiliar with English.

All of the procedures say to properly inflate the tires first, but this does not work. You must inflate the tires somewhere north of 40psi before it will train, on both the factory and winter tires, which I had to work out for myself.

Cycle the key from off to run, ending in run, three times. With the key still in run, press and release the brake pedal once. After the pedal has been fully released cycle the key off to run three more times, ending in run. If it was done correctly the horn will sound and you are in training mode.

The tool probably doesn't work on the Hyundai because it sends the wrong kind of signal for a Hyundai.

And the worthy ones are the service manager and techs at my local Ford dealership, right?
The owner's manual for my dad's Explorer had it in there. It even had a part number and order form for the tool.

For a while around 2008 we were getting new cars in with the training tool in the glove box with the owner's manual packet.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Cycle the key from off to run, ending in run, three times. With the key still in run, press and release the brake pedal once. After the pedal has been fully released cycle the key off to run three more times, ending in run. If it was done correctly the horn will sound and you are in training mode.

The tool probably doesn't work on the Hyundai because it sends the wrong kind of signal for a Hyundai.
Yes, thanks - that's the procedure, and I got it worked out a year ago. It's written somewhat better than the one I found but with the same basic error. Rather than "Cycle the key from off to run, ending in run, three times", it should simply state "Press the start button 5 times". If you've never done it and try to follow those directions exactly it won't work. That's because you don't press the button three times, nor do you turn it on and off three times. If it had a key cycling it three times wouldn't work either - you turn it on and then cycle it off and on two times.

I've done a lot of technical writing and also many operator manuals for complex equipment, and it's not that hard to write simple instructions. Still, it's a shame you can't just opt-out and turn the damned thing off.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's free and takes 2 minutes. How much cheaper and simpler do you want it? :icon_confused:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Road flare in the filler neck. Will fix all Hyundai related issues.
We've owned 4 Hyundais, one I drove for 18 years. Things fail, like on any vehicle, but "issues" are rare.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals