• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto to Manual?

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Right now I have an automatic trans and I really want a 5 speed manual. How hard is it to do the switch and about how much does it cost? I'm not looking at doing this now but I'd like to good ahead and get an idea of what it would be.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
the cost is based on what you can get for parts: mine started as a 4wd parts vehicle for $200, add a new clutch and drive shaft for another $200 (you probably won't need the drive shaft cutting). It took me about 2 days to swap in the reno summer heat. I may continue the swap to 4 wd, or may not.......

Junkyard will be more expensive. It is easier to get a parts vehicle, like one with a thrashed engine so you have all the wierd bits and extra junk you'll need.

Go into the tech forum and look at the swap articles and how to bleed clutches.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^Not if his truck is what's in his profile..

Right now I have an automatic trans and I really want a 5 speed manual. How hard is it to do the switch and about how much does it cost? I'm not looking at doing this now but I'd like to good ahead and get an idea of what it would be.
For your truck, assuming it's 2002, it's not all that bad at all. There's messing around with confusing the PCM with the sensors on the trans, but it ain't that bad. If you can find a truck just like yours but manual and the same year range, I'd steal everything you need out of it.... most importantly, I'd grab the engine/trans wireing harness. You'll need to remove the intake to unclip the coolant temp sensors. And you'll need a PCM.

Look through this thread....it's the best auto-to-manual swap project log that I've ever seen for these newer rigs...including the headaches of wiring and PCM stuff. It's my buddy's manual swap in his 2001 4.0L 4x4. We used all junkyard parts from a u-pull/pick-a-part type yard. Total cost: Right around $700 w/ new clutch, new master, and new slave. Another buddy of ours didn't do too good of shopping...did his swap in his '98 4.0 4x4 for around $1500.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f82/82820-trepauls-auto-manual-swap.html

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals