• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto to manual swap

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i am getting ready to pull the auto tranny out of my 88 B2 and swap it for a manual tranny out of a 91 ranger. I have Read the tech forums just looking for any advice that's not listed in the tech section anything other people have run into doing this swap.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I can't think of anything off the top of my head. The tech library is usually pretty thorough. Any specific questions?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i am getting ready to pull the auto tranny out of my 88 B2 and swap it for a manual tranny out of a 91 ranger. I have Read the tech forums just looking for any advice that's not listed in the tech section anything other people have run into doing this swap.
Might not be much the same between those two. I've done it between a Gen 2 B2 and a Gen 2 Ranger, but everything was the same. Ford used so many combinations of engines and transmissions...and I don't know that the pedal assembly or even the floor plate is the same. Electrically, there are other problems. Besides the engine computer being different, there are jumpers for the neutral safety switch and things. It's a really involved job. I would only do it if you have the exact same truck for a donor.

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was wrong on the year of the donor truck it's an 89 not a 91 and my bronco is an 88. I was more worried about clutch pedal mounting and wiring.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Clutch pedal mounting *should* be the compatible as the style of the cab is the same. As for wiring it will run with just the neutral switch wired in. (Yes an automatic has a neutral switch too. Just a different connector because it does other things too. Thing you won't need with a manual.)

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice guys I will update as I go project probly won't get seriously under way until spring break up

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
The 89 has a different year dash so the bracket is different from the 88. The 89 is much larger. I am working on this right now. I pulled the bracket from an 89 for my 87 and it didn't work right. The pedals were different also. I went to the junkyard yesterday and found an 88. Right size bracket but the clutch master was different. Found an 87 and am in the process of putting it in today.

Your clutch master is the same in the 88 and 89. You will have the keyhole in firewall.

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finding a scrap yard with B2's in it is a chore and half around my place as is. Thanks for the advice I will start doing some hunting.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I was just at a pick-a-part today, they had 4 B2's. 1 was an 88, 1 was an 89, the other 2 were early 80's. All but 1 were automatics and the 1 manual was pretty well stripped down already. The 88 was in excellent condition body wise it was an eddie bauer edition; and the engine was still in tact with the exception of the air box and a radiator. I may go back next weekend and pull the spare tire mount off of it as it looks brand new. They had a few Rangers, but total I think maybe between B2's and Rangers there were about 8-10. They had several Ford Explorers most were 94 or older. This particular yard is the only one I go to because they seem to keep the older vehicles around their yard very few vehicles newer than 90's models. Parts are getting scarce at times, and I try and grab what I can anytime I go to one of these places because they are 35 miles away so I don't get to go there very often due to funds limitations.

Ok, sorry for the long winded speech LOL. Call around and see what you come up with. Its easier to get parts that interchange than try and figure out how to modify some things LOL.

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about drive shafts will the both need to be changed or modified ??

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Transmission
Manual
If you want to do it the best way find an M5od trans. They are in a lot of ford rigs, if you find an explorer up to 2000 they all came with them and you wont have to change or modify drive shafts. It is a better trans than the original 88 B2 5 speed and you use the 88 master w the slave that matches the color of your hydraulic line. I say that because it was not in tech article I looked at and it took me a while to figure out that a black line would not fit in a gold slave cylinder. Also do key on tests for wiring and you will not start it the first time and have the starter stay on like I did, duh. Also w M5od you get to use a 10 inch flywheel / clutch which is a really sturdy set up, I love mine and will be doing it to my second one soon. Just keep going and you will win. Oh your 89 Ranger might have a M5od? not sure but if not you will have to modify shafts.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of doing the 89 a4ld to a m5od I'm going to make a write up so stay tuned in the coming week!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
use pedal assy from 84-88. you may have to make a custom wire harness to mate the trans to existing wiring. you will also need an ECU from an 88 manual trans

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You can use a auto computer and it will run pretty darn good if you have problems finding a manual computer, all you need to do is cross the wires for the neutral safety switch so it will start. It will pop a check engine light for transmission shift control modules, but it will actually go away most of the time when your driving, mines only on at idle n select times usually during acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at the wiring and the differences between my 88 b2 and the 89 ranger I'm worries about the PCM causing issues

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals