• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aussie Lunchbox, street manners

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i've been looking into this more and you're the only one to say negative about the 4wd part of the aussie. everyone loves them. i've done the l/s tight thing and i personally hate it and don't recommend it to anyone. thats just my personal opinion.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i've been looking into this more and you're the only one to say negative about the 4wd part of the aussie. everyone loves them. i've done the l/s tight thing and i personally hate it and don't recommend it to anyone. thats just my personal opinion.
I'm interested in why you hate it. I'm try to learn any time I can. Can you describe your reasons?
:icon_cheers:
Thanks,

Richard

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am also a little curious - a tighter limited slip is just closer to a locker... if you don't like that then you definitely won't like a locker. Stuff like this is just part of wheeling a vehicle, if you don't like it in your daily driver then buy a car and build a dedicated wheeling rig.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
personal opinion only. mainly b/c the ones i've seen and dealt with have not lasted long at all.. it's b/c the way they preform. i'm sure some of yall have seen them last forever, but not me. the last one i saw a guy do in an EX lasted about 40,000 miles. idk, maybe the ones i've seen have been done wrong. its possible

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What have you seen break in them? They are clutch based so of course they are going to wear out eventually

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I just meant I've seen them wear out and have to be fixed. Why will a regular l/s last so long yet when you tighten it, it wears out in half the time or whatever? I've seen Aussie last forever and a day compared to a tight l/s. I however will look back into this and see if maybe it was done wrong when I saw it and explore the option again. I'm all for input from others. And talking thru stuff

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Tight or not, a L/S will never be the same as a locker. If a locker is what you want, the L/S will probably disappoint.
The Aussie does seem like a good unit from everything I've seen also, but it is true you will be able to tell it's back there on the street (more so with a stickshift than with an auto). Most people do get used to it though. It also doesn't have as much slop in it as say, a Detroit Locker.

The ARB compressor does not give you onboard air. It is about worthless for anything else. I know a LOT of people who have ARBs, none have used it for that purpose - all either have PowerTanks or A/C conversion setups.

I can tell you from experience fixing other people's stuff on the trail that the ARB is cool but not very reliable. There are a shit load of parts, seals, air lines, etc. Seal starts leaking inside the diff and it stops working. I would look at a tight trac-lock, Detroit, or electric locker for reliability. Or just buck up and buy a lunchbox locker, take your pick of any... Aussie and the Spartan are supposed to be pretty good.
4 ARBs owned over the last 13 years (still have all but one), not a one has ever given me an air or seal-related problem. Care during installation is the key here, a twisted or nicked O-ring would cause leaks like what you say (and I would agree, installation errors do seem to happen fairly frequently with them).

Also, there are two different size compressors available. The smaller of the two is the one that's unsuitable for airing up tires, etc. The larger one (which is what I have) works fine for that purpose, though it still is slower than an A/C compressor-based setup.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, shipping is $10 from them, so it'll be $279 also.....unless you find a used one, i doubt you find one cheaper

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info junkie, and yeah i like northridge's customer service. it has always been great so i'm going with them. the aussie is the way i will go. i can get used to the road clicks. it won't be to bad. i've talked to a few jeep guys here locally and they love the aussie, on road and off.

and i doubt i'll find a used one... so i'm just gonna order from northridge come payday

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it's a truck, the noise from the locker will be drowned out by the noise the tires make and the noise the tires make will be drown out the noise the locker makes, lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
And the fact it's a 4.0 with no muffler. It already rattles and makes noises all the time anyways. I have 1800 watts of sound system to... I can not hear the locker I'm sure lol

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have never run an Aussie, but the Lockrite is basically the same thing. I daily drive mine and have had no issues. Its not noisy and very streetable.

I will never use an electric selectable again. I had one for my D35. It never truly locked and was not reliable. I broke a few parts and struggled in quite a few spots where there wouldnt of been an issue if the locker was working properly.

I know have lockrites front and rear and wouldnt have it any other way.

You will be just fine with the Aussie! :icon_thumby:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4 ARBs owned over the last 13 years (still have all but one), not a one has ever given me an air or seal-related problem. Care during installation is the key here, a twisted or nicked O-ring would cause leaks like what you say (and I would agree, installation errors do seem to happen fairly frequently with them).

Also, there are two different size compressors available. The smaller of the two is the one that's unsuitable for airing up tires, etc. The larger one (which is what I have) works fine for that purpose, though it still is slower than an A/C compressor-based setup.
Agreed, this is the most important part. I knew about the larger compressor but it's only advertised for camping gear type capacity...cool that it works though... just haven't seen anyone do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals