• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Attention Gas/Oil Field Workers!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not the transfer case that is the problem. It's the worn out front driveshaft double carden joint that allows the DS to spin at high speed OFF CENTER that eventually destroys the T-case. I've seen many, many of those failures and the drivers that were kinda paying attention at the time say there was a bad vibration just before the explosion.
Fact is, no matter the cause, this shouldn't be happening. These trucks say Superduty on the side. Bent Bolt has seen "many, many of these failures" and that sounds like there should be a recall--one that strips off the Superduty badge and replaces it with a wet Kleenex insignia.
A recall because their maintence department didn't check the U-Joints? (according to Bent Bolt's post anyway)

From the stories that I have heard from my brother (Sr Master Ford Tech) the local rail road and power company do strange and unusual things to their trucks. And we have some mighty ambitious farmers doing creative things with their trucks in the area too... they don't compare.

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
A recall because their maintence department didn't check the U-Joints? (according to Bent Bolt's post anyway)

From the stories that I have heard from my brother (Sr Master Ford Tech) the local rail road and power company do strange and unusual things to their trucks. And we have some mighty ambitious farmers doing creative things with their trucks in the area too... they don't compare.
I like a good story.. Care to share?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Anyone with a fleet vehicle that goes offroad can tell stories that would make you cringe, take things places where they have no business being and trying things they would never do if they were paying for it...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I like a good story.. Care to share?
Well, I have a "story". Probably belongs in the stupid RO thread though.

The first dealership I worked at was right next to a Norfolk Southern rail depot, so we got to do all the service work on the rail service trucks.

They would buy F-250 and F-350 dually trucks, get add-a-leafs added until the spring packs were 18-20" thick, put tool-box sides on them, load the back down until even those super-beefed up leaf packs had negative arch, and take the outer rear wheel off.

Then they'd go register the trucks in PA, making them subject to our inspection laws, and get pissed off when we told them that they needed axle seals every year. Kept saying we weren't putting them in right.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
:icon_surprised:

adsm..................what kinda tires did they run on those trucks THAT WOULD re-arch 18" spring-packs....

FORK LIFT TIRES?????????????????

:icon_rofl: (i'm laffin at them....not you..waaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaaaaaa)

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
F-in heavy-ass duty ones.

I don't remember exactly what were on them, that was over 5 years ago.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
rail vehicles ive seen have much taller tires than stock, not terribly wide, but really tall. maybe they are 22.5 school-bus/dump truck tires. i know its a weird offset rim, probly so the tires line up with the rails. most rail-service trucks ive seen around here are g.m.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
most rail-service trucks ive seen around here are g.m.
The ones here with the goofy rims and retractable railway wheels are usually GM too. Dad's old '80 K20 is actually a former Burlington Northern service truck, I don't think it ever had the funny rims and retractable wheels though.

We had a train collision right before last Easter and they had a fleet of Super Duty service trucks that moved in apparently to pull the cars back on the tracks.

I don't really remember anything right offhand (it has been a long summer) about that but it was just a bunch of goofy and severe stuff.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, these had the train wheels on them too. As far as I can remember they had the factory inner rim with a really heavy tire on it, just the outer rim removed and huge freaking spring packs.

I do remember the guy who was always working on them having problems getting the wheels on and off because his socket would bottom out on the wheel studs because the nuts weren't in the right spot.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
They run 19.5" rubber, usually 34-35" tall and load range F/G.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
U-joints last for centuries in drive shafts. And when they fail, they don't grenade the t-case. Seriously--you are going to find a way to excuse Ford for having a t-case in a Superduty that blows up into bits?

An M900 series 5-ton also has a fatal flaw. If you put the transmission into reverse with the case in low, it explodes and dumps its guts. What the hell is up with that? I've seen it happen. The truck jerks, there's a -BANG- and all the oil in the world falls onto the ground under it. They seriously approved that feature? It's not the only flaw that truck has, but I could never believe they approved it--there is a sticker that tells you not to shift into reverse while in low.

Same thing with this Superduty. This is supposed to be commercial grade stuff. Fix that shit.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
U-joints last for centuries in drive shafts. And when they fail, they don't grenade the t-case.
This is supposed to be commercial grade stuff. Fix that shit.
:rolleyes:

DO you have any idea how many of these front shafts we send out to the driveline shop to have the CV ends cut off, new ones welded on and new slip splines and rebalanced? A shit ton. Stuff wears out.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If things wobble drive shaft wise the T-case eats it. NP 205 ....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seriously--you are going to find a way to excuse Ford for having a t-case in a Superduty that blows up into bits?
No need. That they are still stupid common in fleet service (and in private ownership) after 12 years with the same transfer case tells me that it isn't a terribly common problem.

If they were blowing up transfer cases every other day the penny pinchers in the financal department would have a conniption fit and some other breed would take its place. Even 20 year old JY units are not terribly cheap, I can't imagine what Ford would have to eat for a new one plus a new loaded driveshaft under warrenty... and it wouldn't take long for the customer to drop them like a bad habit outside of warrenty.

My guess is that the people doing really heavy crap (like say somebody in an oilfield) beats the tar out of them. Then the running down the interstate at high speed finishes it off. Without the tar beating interstate travel wouldn't be a bother. Most people unlock their hubs like they are supposed to if not for their driveline for their gas milage on the interstate which is why it is mostly limited to heavy usage commercial trucks.

I bugged my brother about it, he has only seen one splattered in almost 5 years in a Ford garage, it was a 6.0.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
U-joints last for centuries in drive shafts.
No they don't.

I just replaced a front U-joint on another oil field truck a month ago.

I wouldn't even have noticed it was bad if he didn't drive around with his hubs locked all the time too.

When it started knocking as I slowed down I recognized the noise/vibration from the last time I lost a rear joint in my own truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals