• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ATOTO S8 anyone?

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hey all-

The ATOTO S8 standard with Android auto. I pulled the trigger on one of these 7 inch double din sized touch screen thingys. Has the fastest performance of all the "decks" tested. Comes with a 128Gb SSD. 4Gb with LTE. I won't use my SIM card in the darned thing but it flys. Works and sounds not bad. Very intuitive seems that some designer threw some processing speed into the darned thing finally. $390 shipped. Has line outs for all 5 channels.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5J8XZ7P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Being a sub installer from way back....I'll want to install another. I have an extra cab w/ the jump seats. The thing is with this truck I believe that most would want to keep it as stock as possible, and I see that. I just want good sound, not super loud. The stock speakers sound real good actually. So with a 5 channel amp of some sort (decent quality) I plan on keeping the distortion under control and the stock speakers. I do however love to break some rules with an old set of 50w ribbon mid-range tweeters running them down to 500Hz (12db/octave cut) at 12w max on the front set of channels. The plastic in this truck and the spring points that everything mounts up with has degraded long ago. I've had to install-repair the points that hold the attachment springs (black spring steel) that expand into the body hole with a through screw with the cover plate for the HVAC/stereo cover panel, and will most likely the door will require the same repair.

If the installation can look as stock as possible and sound nice, that's what I'm after. The optional OEM sub sound quality I would think sounds ok for most, but I'm a hater when it comes from Detroit and it's called HiFi. I can always do a thousand percent better with 20% of that OEM cost.

If I decide to pull the door panels, I'll take pics. Good time to clean & lube the window tracks. And what the sub & amp install looks like. Don't want to fill up the back seat boxes.

Doug

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
So far so good. Sounds nice with the HMI very well engineered. Super fast. Next will be a sub install. It's all diy around here. I will be shopping for a newer type class AB/D 5 channel amp. All the crossover line outs are already there. (all 5 channels). My sub "box" design will require the speaker to be well protected due to the habit I have of tossing stuff in the back seat. The jump seats may have to go. They will likely be rattling apart anyway. My stock speakers sound full range, and they need to be preserved. If possible. Ha! I'll see how long they will last. Maybe I'll just start with a 400 watt sub amp first and take off the lower frequency to save them.

I purchased an "OBDII" reader that integrates into the OBD port as an available option. I need to try that out & post some feedback here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals