• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Art Lilley Memorial Campground at Uwharrie

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, for those of you who dont know me, my name is Cameron Lewis. I Have been a member of this board since 2002, even served as a moderator for some time. Older guys may know me as 84farmranger or 84farm.

Well, I sold my Ranger and bought a Suzuki and found a forum just as helpful as TRS for the little Zuks. Its called Zuwharrie (www.zuwharrie.com). We are working as a group of enthusiasts (both OHV and suzuki enthusiasts) to honor a freind of ours who lost his life in combat in Afghanistan back in June. Here is a copy of the letter we are using, approaching different groups for help in raising funds and other supplies needed to build this campground for Art.

I am asking for your support for a Uwharrie National Forest project we are trying to fund. A little background:

My name is Cameron Lewis. I am member of Zuwharrie.com (http://www.zuwharrie.com) an off road website aimed predominately at Suzuki 4x4 vehicles. We hold two events a year in Uwharrie National Forest in Troy, NC. One of the Zuwharrie staff members at the website was US Army Special Forces Master Sergeant Arthur L. Lilley. Art was sadly killed in action by small arms fire in Afghanistan on 15 June 2007. According to all counts, he died a hero saving the life of one of his men. The Army has since renamed the Forward Operations Base where MSG Lilley served and died, in his honor. Art left behind a wife and two wonderful children and literally thousands of people he affected through his love of off roading. Art was also my best friend.

Uwharrie was one of Art’s favorite places to drive his 4x4 and take his Special Forces Team for mountaineering, camping and ATV training. While dealing with the Forest Rangers (getting permits for our events and using the forest for training his troops) they came to know him. At our request Ranger Walker has agreed to name the new camping area/parking area on Falls Damn the “MSG Arthur Lilley Memorial Camping Area” in his honor. Zuwharrie.com is attempting to collect donations to purchase the sign at the entrance and the wood and gravel needed to build three ATV ramps in the new camping area. We have already collected just over $400.00 to pay for the sign at the entrance but we need help collecting the other $1500-$2000 the ramps are going to cost. I am approaching the ATV community to ask for help because they will benefit the most from these ramps. If there is any way you can help me get the word to the members of your group it would be greatly appreciated. If you think there will be some support from your group please contact me for info on how to donate.

Any questions can be emailed to ford86guy at yahoo dot com. You are also welcome to ask Ranger Walker at the Uwharrie National Forest Ranger Office if you have any questions about the validity of our request.

I also urge you to do a Google search for Arthur L. Lilley and see what kind of man he was and you can understand why this campground area is so extremely important to us. It's a nice way to honor our friend and colleague, and an American hero who truly sacrificed everything for our country. Any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated! To make donations via PayPal please visit this:

CLICK HERE TO DONATE!!

HERE is a link to some pictures of Art, his rig and his son, Cole (Rock Dog). His rig, known throughout the Suzuki community as the Popsicle, is currently being rebuilt for Cole by members of Zuwharrie, as it meant just as much to him as it did to Art.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone interested in helping out? Trying to keep public land open by doing all this work ourselves with the forest service, as well as honor a hero and friend.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Sorry 84, I am no where close.

Sad to lose a friend in vain though, I feel for you and his family!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
PM sent.

This post just caught my attention.

Sorry I've entered so late.

I have some ideas on how we may be able to use TRS to contribute to this cause.

This is a good personal note from Glenn Wakefield (Owner - Rocky-Road):

http://www.rocky-road.com/extreme24.html?277,67

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
Jim, I replied.

Art was a great friend and person. A guy who never met a stranger, friend was a conversation away. Its hard to believe its almost been a year since his passing.

Rebel4life3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about your friend Cameron.

I saw that you got the sign up since i had so much time to look at it cause i was stuck in the pit right at the entrance!

Anyways, that looks like its gonna be a great campground and its one that i would definately love to camp at. When is it sposed to be up and running?

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about your friend Cameron.

I saw that you got the sign up since i had so much time to look at it cause i was stuck in the pit right at the entrance!

Anyways, that looks like its gonna be a great campground and its one that i would definately love to camp at. When is it sposed to be up and running?
Im not sure to be honest. We had the dedication for the campground at our spring event, 4/25-27. The material is there for ATV ramps, but as far as I know nothing has been done.

Me and a few buddies are planning to go down either late this month or early July, hopefully I can take my junk down and check it out while we are there.

R4R3, how far are you from URE and how often do you go?

Rebel4life3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hour & 15 min or so. I usually try to make it up there at least once every month and will usually camp. Ill prob be up there mid-late June.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i would help out but im wayyyyyyyy to far away

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for effort, but remember, you dont have to be close to help. Some of the members of Zuwharrie are from Canada, California and have donated. With this, every little bit helps.

Here are a few pictures of the campground, the most recent shot about a month and a half ago. I havent had the time to get back there, but I have not heard much progress except for some trail cleanup in the area, and over the entire trail system.

Here is a member and sister in front of the sign:

The big mud hole at Falls Dam, the campground is on either side of the hole:

The parking areas (these were taken back in February):

As you can see, we have come a long way in getting this going, but still have a long ways to go.

Thanks

Rebel4life3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looks pretty much how it did when i was there for the 4x4Cross race. Is it going to be like the other campgrounds? (arrowhead, badin lake, etc.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals