• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone Know Chevy TPI? I hope so..

alyssasdaddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
OK everyone....

This is my problem maybe you can help. I am a mechanic but some reason can not figure this one out. Maybe I just overlooked some things that I should not have.

1987 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z 5.0 TPI California Car

What I did was rebuilt everything, Engine, Transmission, and Brakes as well as Paint and Body. The problem is High Idle no matter what I do it always goes back to 1500 - 2000 rpms. I have set the base idle to 500 rpm with the IAC disconnected and aldl connector in diagnostic mode. Set the TPS to .54volt. The car runs very well, transmission shifts perfect, no misfire, no intake leaks (sprayed FI cleaner at all points that may leak).

When the engine is at a low idle it runs kinda like it has a big cam installed but the cam I used is the one that was with the engine. The Rockers are adjusted (Pretty sure but if that may cause then I will go back through them) Timing is right where it says to put it. (I am using the FSM).

After I set the base idle and adjusted the TPS sensor it ran great RPM where it is supposed to be and fairly clean idle. But the next day back up to 1500 - 2000.

Any ideas?

I know this is a ford forum but the people over at thirdgen have not responded. Seems slow over there plus I am a brand new user there.

I wouldn't mind pouring gas all over it and setting it on fire.. But its my fathers and he had it since 87 from the showroom floor.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Don't older GM's have a MAF as well? That could need cleaning if there is one, otherwise couldn't the TPS or Idle passage be gunked? A friend of mine has a 1986 Camaro with the 305 with "tuned port" (which is what I think you're talking about), but I haven't really looked at it too often since he usually drives his Dakota for a DD.

This motor right?

It looks like it has a MAF and stuff, but I'm not terribly familiar with GM stuff.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I know a lot of people with GM 4.3's had issues with their MAF sensors going bad, so you may have just put it all back together and a sensor went bad.

alyssasdaddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The motor in Image exactly.

Mas air flow testing was putting out correct data.. But I didn't try the unplug that thing and see if the problems changes yet.

I was also told that this car has whats know as "keep alive power" to the ecm so whenever I adjust and shut it down and restart it could be losing its data. (Shot in the dark)

I am actually going out to try the Mas right now..

alyssasdaddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I checked all my connections, Found a ground off on the back of the engine from the harness. Also found another plug that was burnt against the exhaust manifold. Took car of both not sure what the random plug is for yet.

Codes popped up..

33 Mass Air Flow sensor High GM/Sec Indicated
22 Throttle Position sensor signal voltage low
36 Maf Sensor Burn Off Function Fault
34 Another Mass Air Flow Code.

As for the TPS (22) I am assuming that since the engine idle is too high at the given value it is causing this?

Maybe the Mas 33 is because of the same thing?

34 I am thinking is also due to the High RPM?

So that just leaves 36 would 36 cause this problem? But I am open to suggestions at this point. I will be checking all the codes according to the FSM flow charts. Hopefully I get some some success out of all of this.

Could all of this be caused by a ground wire off from the engine harness?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Try cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner. If it's not getting an accurate temperature/air flow reading, it isn't going to tell the engine how much air is coming into the motor, and most of your codes seem MAF related. Try cleaning it first, and maybe check for some other damaged/disconnected wires. Worth a shot.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Also found another plug that was burnt against the exhaust manifold. Took car of both not sure what the random plug is for yet
Is your O2 sensor(s) hooked up? I know on my other friend's old Buick Century it was the most random looking single wire just hanging off the firewall. When I asked what the hell it was, he said O2 sensor. Google shows that 82+ Camaros at least had a single lead O2 sensor, and since you said it was by the manifold, might be that. Was the plug still intact or was it just a burned off wire when you found it, because the plug end might help determine what it was for.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'm not trying to sound like I'm pulling stuff out of my ass, I'm just trying to help on something I'm not terribly knowledgeable about :dunno:

alyssasdaddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The O2 Sensor is plugged in, As for function I do not know. I have not made it to that point. Today I will be going to the county fair so I wont be doing to much work on it.

Tomorrow I will be looking for where that plug goes.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ever figure it out? Kinda curious...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals