• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have experience with "Dash Covers?"

G8RB8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Like in the auction here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Light-Brown-Dash-Cover-Ford-Bronco-II-82-83-84-85-86-87_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414aec0102QQitemZ280429854978QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've basically given up on finding a near perfect (no cracks or warps) dash for my '88 BII, so I was interested in seeing if any of you have gone this route, and what I could expect.

What I'm concerned with is that if it's something that just fits over what I have now, that it may not work. My windshield leaks, and there's a part of the dash top that's warped up a little bit, and I'm afraid that it won't fit properly. It's not drastic or anything, but it's definitely not straight.

Just wondering what your experiences are with a product like this. I'm also interested to see if this could be a replacement period. . . as in can I separate my current dash cover from the foam material it's adhered to, and use the "cover" as the dash?

On the Searches I did, I found a couple people asking the same question, and one thread that touched on it but still didn't really give a great idea. . .

If anyone can point me in the right direction of an old thread that I have not been able to find, please link as well

Thanks guys :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
This is the type that is designed to be glued over your beat-to-hell factory pad. I have seen them with both good and bad results. It all depends on your prep work. You can a re-pop pad from LMC truck, you know... I got one from them for my 84 BII, the only thing is that it is more of a light tan than the correct Saddletan. It was about $120, and it goes on to the steel plate just like the original one did. I feel that for a few bucks more, the LMC pad is the better choice. Just remove the old, trashed pad and install the nice, new one.

G8RB8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Good Call Mudhound, I just placed an order for a free catalog today

Glad to hear that it's not much more $$, and it's a full replacement, which is honestly more what I was looking for

:icon_cheers:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put one of those in my 86 when I had the original dash and it worked pretty well.The one I put in was from duff and i'm thinking that it was around $ 80 dollars but it wasn't painted you could get the original color from LMC I picked out a color at my local parts house and went with that.Either way you can check into it if it saves you $40.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks, ya'll. I've been wondering about those LMC dash covers, as I have to redo my '84's interior. But, if anybody does makes a repro replacement dash pad (not cover), it'd be nice to know.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
That's what I got. An actual dashpad, not the cover. Give me a minute to find the info for it.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Well. I just looked in the Fall 2009 catalog. The cover is still listed, but not the actual pad. That sucks ( pg. 95, BTW ). Looks like Stuffy Duffy is about the only one that still has the pad available. Damn. I knew that I should had ordered an extra one to leave in the box.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Oh, on a realted note: Anybody know where to get 2-tone door skins for the early BII? Mine are still in great shape, but I want ot get a second set, just for the, uh, unthinkable "old age making the material split" thing. I have only seen one other set, and they were trashed allready. :(

G8RB8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, on a realted note: Anybody know where to get 2-tone door skins for the early BII? Mine are still in great shape, but I want ot get a second set, just for the, uh, unthinkable "old age making the material split" thing. I have only seen one other set, and they were trashed allready. :(
Can you post a pic? I'll keep an eye out in the yards. I have quite a few around here that got a lot of the early ones in the cash for clunkers deal

G8RB8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I found (what I think to be) a steal, deal and bargain on these dash covers

JC Whitney have COLORED ones on sale for $77.34. $3.99 surcharge added to that for a "heavy item," but use a discount code "Cleanup" and regular shipping is free

In short, colored dash pad to my door for a little over $81!!! :icon_bounceblue:

I called customer service to verify that they were colored, I know some of those go for $150 or so on Ebay. Hell, haven't seen a black one for lower than $100 on there. "Med Tan" is about as close as it gets to mine I guess, or at least close enough to not worry about it.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/molded-dash-caps/p2008185.jcwx?skuId=215805

I just placed the order, so I will let you know what it looks like when it gets here :icon_cheers:

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys...did a dash cover on my '85 about 5 years ago from jcwhitney, no problems. Bought in the tan which matched my factory '85 eddie bauer tan ...close enough...and it was a snap. Cleaned the original good with an alcohol to remove any vinyl cleaners, fit in place to make sure of fit, cthen glued it. afterwards stuffed the whole top area of the dash with towels to hold it tight while the silicone dried. It wroked really well and made a huge difference. My only complaint is that after 5 years this winter I now have a small crack in the cover, can only see it from outside through the windshield. The silicone help up well with no peel up or fading of the color. Might pull it off and get a nother though...that crack irritates me....:annoyed:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Can you post a pic? I'll keep an eye out in the yards. I have quite a few around here that got a lot of the early ones in the cash for clunkers deal

;brownbag; Damn, I am a slacker, at times. I will post pix of the door skins in a little while. I need to charge the camera first... sorry.

extremeema

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
We dont have the problem with the dash

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Okay. Here is the very late picture of the two tone doorskin.

The early (1st Gen) RBVs' seem to have the most trouble with the dashpad disintigrating, mainly due to age/sunbaking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals