• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have a picture of 2wd vs. 4wd exhaust?

macd7919

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I'm converting my 2wd to 4wd and my current exhaust is directly in the way of the front driveshaft. It looks as though it is an aftermarket replacement as it uses slip fittings right after each collector. My question is....are the 2wd and 4wd exhausts different or maybe someone in the past just fabbed up an exhaust the easiest way they could. Either way, if anyone has an example of the underside of a 4wd exhaust right by where the front driveshaft comes through I would appreciate it if you could post it up, thanks guys!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
With the stock parts there is no difference.

with your aftermarket stuff? ? ? ? ? ?

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My stock Y-pipe just passes right under the bell, no interference with the front d-shaft. yours sounds odd and custom fabbed.

macd7919

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mine passes under the bell housing and goes across just above the crossmember. With it's current position the driveshaft joint at the diff couldn't spin as it would smack right into the exhaust. Does anyone have a pic of the 4wd exhaust setup sobi can take it to the muffler shop so they will have a pic of the proper routing, thanks!

macd7919

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone? I know someone has a pic of the underside of a 4wd bronco ii with stock exhaust. I'll even be willing to paypal you 5 cents to cover the battery power used to snap the picture with your digital camera. Just think, YOU could be rich just for posting a picture!!!! :). But really.... I would greatly appreciate it if someone has a pic, thanks!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'll snap one for you when I run out to the store today.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
As promised: Exhaust pics, I got a few different angles that hopefully will help you figure this out.

the next 3 are sideways:

What do you mean by "slip fittings"?

Last edited:

macd7919

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, those will def work.

As far as slip fittings they are exactly that, basically one pipe just slides over the over with a tight fit, usually you have to tap it on with a mallet or something as it is a very snug fit. Basically someone welded a new collector on where the headers come together which has a slip fitting on the other end. They then made a custom crossover pipe but it doesn't curve around the driveshaft, just kinda goes straight down then hits a 90 so the driveshaft cant fit.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks, those will def work.

As far as slip fittings they are exactly that, basically one pipe just slides over the over with a tight fit, usually you have to tap it on with a mallet or something as it is a very snug fit. Basically someone welded a new collector on where the headers come together which has a slip fitting on the other end. They then made a custom crossover pipe but it doesn't curve around the driveshaft, just kinda goes straight down then hits a 90 so the driveshaft cant fit.
Oh, those stupid things. They are actually kinda nice if used properly. That sounds like the worst place to put them I could think of.

But yeah, that sounds extremely custom fabbed, almost mustang exhaust like.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals