• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone ever put an A4LD behind a 2.8l before?

d.j.shelton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, thank you for your time with my post. I have an old 85 ranger that came equipped with a C5. Well the C5 is now trash and i have a low mile A4LD from an 86 bronco 2. If i try to put this transmission behind my 2.8l what challenges might I face? Anyone ever done this before? Thank you!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as its an 1985-1988 A4LD with just the one TCC solenoid it should be OK

Probably need the 2.9l flexplate, 2.8l/2.9l cranks were the same not sure on the torque converters bolt pattern

1989-1994 added the 3-4 shift(OD) solenoid so need computer control for that, earlier used engine vacuum

If your not sure look at the electrical connector on drivers side of trans

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The 1985 model was the last year for the 2.8 and first year of the A4LD, and that combination did come from the factory.

I'm not sure what small part hardware issues you may run into putting an A4LD in place of the C5. Not sure if the shifter can be made to work, and also look at comparing the lengths of the two transmissions, to make sure that your driveshaft lengths are compatable.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Shifters for sure are different, you will need an 85-87 shifter & floor plate... '88 will work too if you modify the floor plate

Driveshaft(s) are different lengths

You probably will want a very early A4LD... like '85-87 IIRC... to keep the electrical part fairly simple

Also you need the kickdown rod, I believe it is different than the one you have on your C5.

Too bad you're not closer, I have everything you need for the swap minus the driveshaft! If you can find a transmission locally, I can send you a box with the shifter and all that stuff - yours free if you pay shipping. Personally I like the C5 better and would rebuild what you have but that is just my preference, I think it is a much stouter transmission.

d.j.shelton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Shifters for sure are different, you will need an 85-87 shifter & floor plate... '88 will work too if you modify the floor plate

You probably will want a very early A4LD... like '85-87 IIRC... to keep the electrical part fairly simple

Also you need the kickdown rod, I believe it is different than the one you have on your C5.

Too bad you're not closer, I have everything you need for the swap minus the driveshaft! If you can find a transmission locally, I can send you a box with the shifter and all that stuff - yours free if you pay shipping. Personally I like the C5 better and would rebuild what you have but that is just my preference, I think it is a much stouter transmission.
Thank you very much and im definitely interested!

d.j.shelton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Probably need the 2.9l flexplate, 2.8l/2.9l cranks were the same not sure on the torque converters bolt pattern

1989-1994 added the 3-4 shift(OD) solenoid so need computer control for that, earlier used engine vacuum

Thank you for all the information its very helpful.

d.j.shelton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Thank you very much

d.j.shelton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Oh and i did get a quote on the rebuild, 2k isnt the worst ive heard but i agree i like the c5. I know ill still get it rebuilt at some point

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals