• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another tranny bites the dust

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well six months ago I blew my fm145 out running 40s on my truck for a year so I decided to rebuild an fm146. Well I down graded to 35s now and they are skinnier as well and today driving to work it sounded like the syncros were grinding. I think I split the 4th gear one again. Ive had this thing out a million times and can do it in 30 minutes pull it apart and put it back together in 2 hours and put it back in in another 30 minutes but Im thinking there is something inside that keeps breaking them. I baby the crap out of it and it keeps breaking them. Going to the junkyard to find another tranny tomorrow to find another one but dont know which to get. I have a 92 well the tranny is an 86 with removable bell and its a 4cyl 4x4. Whats stronger than the stupid fms. the only one that didnt give was my 2wd one. And I beet it to crap with the 2wd tranny in it and with 40s. Any help would be awesome. Im losing my a$$ on this thing with all the rebuild kit and the price of the tranny. Cost me over 500 for everything and its gone in 6 months:annoyed:

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Swap it out for a M5OD. Problem solved!

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the m50d in my 2wd but its impossible to find one here in florida for a 4cyl 4x4. I went to the junk yard and found a fm145 that had 35000 miles on it and was run with gear oil in it. Got it for 100 bucks and put it in. It is the smoothest shifting and running tranny ive ever had. Hopefully it will hold up longer than six months. Im trying to find some gears to make it a little easier on the drivetrain and get a little better mileage. Right now im running 3.73s.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah there's your big problem... You need some 5.13 gears with those tires.

You could always convert a 2WD M5OD into a 4WD one by taking the ext. housing & tailshaft from any other M5OD-R1 and putting it on yours, though you do have to pretty much tear the entire tranny down to do it.

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forgot about that. Tearing it downs not really a problem. Ill have to keep my eyes out for a 4x4 m50d. For now I hope that fm145 holds in there. I cleaned every junkyard out around here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals