• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

another 2.9 problem

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what i have is when mine warms up it acts like im running out of gas. sputters real bad and wont accelerate or maintain speed unless you keep it floored.
replaced fuel and air filters. ive ran b12 chemtool thru it. i replaced cap and rotor. cleaned the pugs (motorcraft), had a friend pull codes and got a TPS and a ECT.
so my friend gave me a used TPS to try and the problem didnt go away. it did run slightly different. (mine is 87 his was 89 so the plug didnt want to fit till i shaved the alignment ridge. i then cleaned the TPS prongs, still ran bad.

i was looking at the schematic in the book and it looks like the TPS ans ECT are in cahoots on part of the same circuit. i found a pic on the net saying the ECT is on the intake by the thermostat.

so i know this much,,,,,,,wtf do i do now?
i guess ill try the 02 sensor, but i thought i would get a code for that.

oh yeh and im getting 7 miles a gallon at 4 $ a gallon.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Yep the TPS (throtttle Posistion Sensor) & ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor)??
could be making the engine proform poorly...BTW when i changed my ECT, it improved mileage pretty well...it was sending a false signial to the engine computer...making it think it was colder that it was. But I didn't have to floor it to get it to run right it either. here is a link that was from another thread http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=28 lots of info there. Located on left side of the thermostat, er, just behind it.

and yes if the TPS is not sending the correct signal it can mess up your milage as well.
Did it come off a running unit??

How is the compression?? Silly question, but is the air filter new?

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

it came from a running unit when last installed.
yes have new air filter.

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

havent checked compression, i need to buy a new compression tester.

today i bought a new ect, im letting motor cool off a bit first. it looks like i found where its installed but its real tight so i think i can get it.

btw i got in a wreck thursday, i now have a flying v front bumper. destroyed my ac condensor, moved my radiator back where the hose in up against steering gearbox. moved my fenders a little and knuckled my frame on both sides.
ouch!!. wasnt at fault tho so i should get some money to repair it. ( a sweet little old lady drove right in front of me and miraculously didnt get hurt. i t_boned her rear bumper at a clean 90 degrees.)

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
havent checked compression, i need to buy a new compression tester.

today i bought a new ect, im letting motor cool off a bit first. it looks like i found where its installed but its real tight so i think i can get it.

btw i got in a wreck thursday, i now have a flying v front bumper. destroyed my ac condensor, moved my radiator back where the hose in up against steering gearbox. moved my fenders a little and knuckled my frame on both sides.
ouch!!. wasnt at fault tho so i should get some money to repair it. ( a sweet little old lady drove right in front of me and miraculously didnt get hurt. i t_boned her rear bumper at a clean 90 degrees.)
Ouch....the best fender benders are the ones no one gets hurt!
Sorry to hear that.

As I reread...and rethink this maybe a bad TFI too. (AKA ignition module )
They have a tendency to get affected by heat. Most parts stores will check them for free after you get them off the back side of the distributor.

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ok o got the new ECT installed, what a pain. broke the tip off the old one got the base with ratchet. new one went on with large crescent wrench.

i found a vacum hose going from throttle body to drivers side valve cover was real loose and needs a new gromet to make it secure. i just wedged a used skoal can in there to see if it affected motor.
i had to pull throttle body to get at ECT and in process found some black junk up in my intake. reminded me of burnt rubber slag on hot asphalt. cleaned that out as much as could. my buddy told me removing and cleaning intake regularly helps with performance and mileage. so thats next step.

i drove truck a few miles and it did run a little better but not perfect.

as for the tfi, a friend told me you can take a 7 mm i think socket and grind the OD to make it fit the tfi nuts. (or go buy the ford tool)

ill keep progress posted here.

DOH, i thought i posted the pics earlier

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals