• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

annoying rattle- what possibilities?

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the ball joints, rad. arm bushings, put newer stock springs in, new shocks, and got an alignment. truck does steer better, tracks better, and rides better over all, but...there is this dang annoying rattle that for the life of me i cant make sense of. when i am braking over bumps i hear a clunking going on and it sounds like both sides of the truck. could the sway bar assembly be causing a pretty audible clunk when rolling over bumps? i know its worn out, so that's why i suspect it. just wondering if peoples experience has been that the sway bar can do this before i bother with it. Also, anything else i should be thinking about? i cant really think of anything else if we assume that all that got replaced is solid. i will double check- again...all those components.

oh! 1.5" coil spacers got put in too...good ole welded washer style.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
try taking the sway bar off and go over some bumps. you are sure your calipers are bolted in nice and tight.

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
calipers have those rubber style pins. i do have issues with the brakes, so i will probably wind up yanking the tires off, going through the brakes and pulling the sway bar after all...

Quartermile

Bump stops or loose calipers or sway bar is not connected/loose

jrs86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem. when i turned or when i hit bumps i could hear it. turned out to be a busted u joint at the 4wd axles the axles were hitting the ra bolts. i found out cuz i broke the axle and after that it no longer did it.

joemac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The front right brake line that goes through the spring hoop on my 2wd is rattling like crazy. I had been trying to find it for months and never thought to look at the brake line but it is so god damn annoying I'm glad I finally found it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals