• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

amd vs. Intel

intel or amd

• Total voters

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Gotta go with my AMDs on this one.

Used em ever since I first got into system building. Always been very reliable workhorses, havent had a single one go bad in the 12 years I've been building systems. *Usually* cheaper than equivalent Intel processors too.

Even use AMD in my servers. Currently have a 4U Rackmount server that has two single core AMDs in it, more than plenty of oomph in that box.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
vote up i vote intel
I have owned several of each, worked on equipment that had one or both installed, have seen many different computer applications for over 28 years; both work well, but for continuous operation, Intel seems to be more reliable.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I have owned several of each, worked on equipment that had one or both installed, have seen many different computer applications for over 28 years; both work well, but for continuous operation, Intel seems to be more reliable.
what kind of continuous operation? my lap top (AMD turion 64) has been running for 4 weeks with out a restart.

my wife has to restart her core 2 duo every 6 hours or so.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
what kind of continuous operation? my lap top (AMD turion 64) has been running for 4 weeks with out a restart.

Military systems, Industrial applications, PC's & Servers, PLC's, etc. AMD's are good processors, but Intel seems to have a slight edge.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual

That's usually software that causes that not hardware.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It seems like they've been going back and forth for a while... Around the time of the AthlonXP was when AMD started giving Intel serious competition... they weren't quite as fast but they were a third of the price. I still have my AXP 2500+ Barton core in my garage computer...fantastic chip. Then when Intel released the Prescott and AMD released the Athlon64...everything for intel went downhill. They were charging four times as much for inferior chips. They were slower and less stable than their AMD counterparts. However, with the Intel Core 2 Duo processors, they came back on top...I don't even remember what AMD called their processors at the time as they were not worth more than 5 minutes of research. I'm still using my Core2duo system so I can't say from personal experience about the future, but I have heard a LOT of good things about AMD's Phenom processors. My biggest complaint about the Socket 775 intel chips is that they aren't as "quick" as the old Athlon64 chips. In gaming and any CPU intensive task my Intel core 2 blows my old A64 system away but for every day use, web browsing, chatting and all that crap it felt like my A64 was just snappier about it, I believe this was due to the A64 having an on-chip memory controller which Intel still has not adopted. However I've heard that Intel has implemented this in their new I7 standard. So I'm interested to see how that works out for them. As far as stability they are both VERY high quality chips and the only crashes I've ever had with either was from bad software or me trying to overclock them just a little too high :)

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
It seems like they've been going back and forth for a while... Around the time of the AthlonXP was when AMD started giving Intel serious competition... they weren't quite as fast but they were a third of the price. I still have my AXP 2500+ Barton core in my garage computer...fantastic chip. Then when Intel released the Prescott and AMD released the Athlon64...everything for intel went downhill. They were charging four times as much for inferior chips. They were slower and less stable than their AMD counterparts. However, with the Intel Core 2 Duo processors, they came back on top...I don't even remember what AMD called their processors at the time as they were not worth more than 5 minutes of research. I'm still using my Core2duo system so I can't say from personal experience about the future, but I have heard a LOT of good things about AMD's Phenom processors. My biggest complaint about the Socket 775 intel chips is that they aren't as "quick" as the old Athlon64 chips. In gaming and any CPU intensive task my Intel core 2 blows my old A64 system away but for every day use, web browsing, chatting and all that crap it felt like my A64 was just snappier about it, I believe this was due to the A64 having an on-chip memory controller which Intel still has not adopted. However I've heard that Intel has implemented this in their new I7 standard. So I'm interested to see how that works out for them. As far as stability they are both VERY high quality chips and the only crashes I've ever had with either was from bad software or me trying to overclock them just a little too high :)
I think you pretty much covered it all right there. Good post. And yes the new I7 and the later I5 contain on on chip memory controller.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My laptop has a Pentium 4 in it, it's slow and overheats. My desktop has an Athlon 64. It's faster and runs for weeks at a time, only problems i have with it are caused by dust. I'm sold on the AMD's.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
My laptop has a Pentium 4 in it, it's slow and overheats. My desktop has an Athlon 64. It's faster and runs for weeks at a time, only problems i have with it are caused by dust. I'm sold on the AMD's.
That's because P4's sucked. I was all about AMD until recently when they just couldn't compete performance wise. Though I believe the new Phenoms are catching up finally.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
it just works out that way........ every time I am ready to buy a new laptop the AMD proc is the better one. When it is time to replace Teffie's laptop....... Intel has the better offering.........

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's because P4's sucked. I was all about AMD until recently when they just couldn't compete performance wise. Though I believe the new Phenoms are catching up finally.
I have the AMD Phenom II x4 right now and it blows away my buddies PC (that I built) with the same specs except his has the Intel i7.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I have the AMD Phenom II x4 right now and it blows away my buddies PC (that I built) with the same specs except his has the Intel i7.
I have yet to hear anything about the PII's "blowing away" I7's but it seems we finally have a good battle going on the processor front.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals