• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AMC heads on a 2.9?

87Ranger4me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I looked all over for the answer to this, but found none. I tore my 2.9 down in my 87 Ranger today to replaced a collapsed lifter and decided to just pull both heads and replace all of them. While cleaning up the heads I noticed the letters "AMC" stamped in the middle of the heads by the valve cover edge. This engine had a major rebuild about 78,000 miles ago and both heads were replace as the original ones were cracked of course. Is it possible that the replacement heads are really American motors parts? Anybody ever heard of these kind of heads?

Beleneagle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
To the best of my knowledge AMC never made any heads for the Ford 2.9, or any other Ford V-6. In the mid eighties, they used the GM 2.8 in the Cherokees. World Products has and still does make replacement heads for the 2.9. I'm not sure if anyone else out there did, but I figured I'd chime in with what I know.

David

87Ranger4me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks David, there are some other markings on the ends of them but I won't be able to see them till tomorrow. In the light of day I'm going to reexamine them and compare to the pictures in the Tech Library of the World heads. I hope that they are World heads or even the 89 and later ones.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't think that's American Motor Company.

It's probably A(somewhere) Machining Company.

87Ranger4me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I found that there was/is a company in Spain that sells after market cylinder heads named AMC, but haven't found any info on 2.9 heads. Still nobody heard of these heads?

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone had experience with Odessa cylinder head in Clearwater FL?
They sell a pair of heads with all valve components installed on their Ebay store for $340.
Is the 89TM casting a direct replacement for the 86TM?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Has anyone had experience with Odessa cylinder head in Clearwater FL?
They sell a pair of heads with all valve components installed on their Ebay store for $340.
Is the 89TM casting a direct replacement for the 86TM?
DO NOT BUY HEADS FROM THEM They are complete junk, I have personal experience with two people that purchased heads from them. One of them, with a 4.0 has a wicked clatter, He replaced the lifters to try to solve the problem, with no luck. He has not called odessa to deal with the problem because, thus far it has not caused any driveability problems.

The other one with a 2.5 got a head, that for all purposes was junk right out of the box, looks like someone ground the valves with a die grinder, nearly removing the entire exhaust valve seat. all of the valve seals were wrong, and the cam sprocket wouldn't fit on the end of the cam. He is still fighting with the company over it. He took the head to a local guy to have it looked over before he sent it back because it was burning excessive amounts of oil, he made the discovery that the valve seals were wrong and the valve guides and exhaust valves were junk. The head had only been on the engine for about 1000 miles at this point. Called up Odessa and told them, they paid for shipping back to Florida. Got it back the second time, brought it back to the local guy and not only did it have the incorrect valve seals again, the exhaust valves and seats were so bad that it literally made the head a paperweight. He has contacted Odessa again, they have refused to refund him any money. He reported them to the BBB of Florida, and they have stopped returning calls to the BBB on it. The company is a joke... Spend the extra money and buy a set of heads from a more reputable company

Last edited:

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Holy, I figured something good from ebay was a long shot, thanks for the report.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals