• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Alternators - Mazda 2300 vs Ranger

brokenstrings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
.004"
Hi. First post here and I need some expert advice.

I recently got a new alternator that was supposed to fit my 07 Ranger according to parts sites. I may need to get a warranty replacement because it is whistling at idle/low rpm (physically, not through the speakers). I need to sand down the mounting points a little and make sure it's not a bad ground, however, if it is an alternator issue it's still under warranty.

The probelm I am having is that SOME sites say my new alternator (Bosch AL7597N) is not for a Ford 2007 2.3 SOME other sites do. The sites that say it does not fit state that, that alternator model is ok for Rangers up to 2006 but not after and ok for Mazdas of all years for this generation.

If I need replacement alternator, I don't want to get the wrong one and maybe I actully installed the wrong and that is why it is whistling. I thought all Mazda B and Ford Ranger parts were mostly compatible, but I'm having a lot of trouble sorting through this conflicting info.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a new alternator some years ago, only to have it perform badly. I had the parts store do a bench test. Sure enough, something was wrong with it. Sometimes that happens. I would return that Bosch and get an OEM Ford replacement. And while you are at it, you might want to upgrade it with an improved Ford voltage regulator. It will recharge the battery faster.

brokenstrings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
.004"
I bought a new alternator some years ago, only to have it perform badly. I had the parts store do a bench test. Sure enough, something was wrong with it. Sometimes that happens. I would return that Bosch and get an OEM Ford replacement. And while you are at it, you might want to upgrade it with an improved Ford voltage regulator. It will recharge the battery faster.

I thought I read here that Bosch was the OEM for the Motorcraft alternators?

I also thought that the voltage regulator was internal on the alternator. I would def like to replace that but don't know where it is!

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe the one you have is flawed. It shouldn't whistle. Just take it back and ask. The voltage regulator is internal, but not hard at all to replace. The instructions are quite clear.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After the mid-1980's all alternators have internal voltage regulators

You can get rebuild kits with new bearings, brushes and voltage regulator but most just get new or rebuilt alternator

If new alternator is making a noise then exchange it, some have had to go thru 3 or 4 alternators to get a good one, starter motors are much the same
There is no more Quality Control on "new" parts
Build it, box it, ship it, is the way of the world now, they add a warranty and YOU are now the Quality Control department of what ever brand you choose :)

Ford Parts are usually tested, but cost 3+ times as much, but up to you in that respect
OEM doesn't mean they are tested the same as the parts the company sends to Ford, it just means they are made with the same specs......usually

So grain of salt on new parts, "new" only means "Never Ever tested", not "tested and works"

In any case go with a 2007 replacement as alternators do come up as 2001-2006 and then different for 2007-2011
This could be pulley size or plug in connector difference, maybe even slight mounting difference

brokenstrings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
.004"
In any case go with a 2007 replacement as alternators do come up as 2001-2006 and then different for 2007-2011
This could be pulley size or plug in connector difference, maybe even slight mounting difference
Thanks for the info. I'll get working on a warranty return through Bosch (ordered online).

As for the alternator I got, I had to get one "for" a Mazda B2300. The reason I did this is because all the searches I did for 2007 Ranger came up with an alternator that did not have the same frame / shape. I recently discovered some rebuilt Densos that have the same frame only after REALLY digging. The plug, pulley and fit are all the same.

The top alternator is what was coming up in most cased. I have the second one, but the only one I could find new was for a 05-09 Mazda B2300. Was hoping new would be better and it was OEM but after reading everyone's frustration online, IDK how to get good parts anymore.

1708386849340.png

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I'll get working on a warranty return through Bosch (ordered online).

As for the alternator I got, I had to get one "for" a Mazda B2300. The reason I did this is because all the searches I did for 2007 Ranger came up with an alternator that did not have the same frame / shape. I recently discovered some rebuilt Densos that have the same frame only after REALLY digging. The plug, pulley and fit are all the same.

The top alternator is what was coming up in most cased. I have the second one, but the only one I could find new was for a 05-09 Mazda B2300. Was hoping new would be better and it was OEM but after reading everyone's frustration online, IDK how to get good parts anymore.

View attachment 106330
I just go to local parts supplier, at least whenever I can. Otherwise one has to pay for shipping; and then there's a wait and the whole business of getting a refund. A good parts supplier will also have a test bench for an alternator. I purchase some things online, but only when I can't find what I want in town.

Last edited:

brokenstrings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
.004"
I just go to local parts supplier, at least whenever I can. Otherwise one has to pay for shipping; and then there's a wait and the whole business of getting a refund. A good parts supplier will also have a test bench for an alternator. I purchase some things online, but only when I can't find what I want in town.
Also, local parts supplier is how I got in this mess. This whistling alternator is my 2nd one installed. The first one was a dud from Advance / Discount. Went to return it and the replacement had a noisy bearing out of the box so I didn't even bother installing it. Took that back and they refused to refund, only replace and I had to dispute the charge on my CC. I thought I'd try going new and here I am. I have never in my life had such a problem finding an alternator!!

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Also, local parts supplier is how I got in this mess. This whistling alternator is my 2nd one installed. The first one was a dud from Advance / Discount. Went to return it and the replacement had a noisy bearing out of the box so I didn't even bother installing it. Took that back and they refused to refund, only replace and I had to dispute the charge on my CC. I thought I'd try going new and here I am. I have never in my life had such a problem finding an alternator!!
Yes, indeed. But as other TRS members have noted, the problem is not with the parts supplier. It's with the product itself, the manufacturing process, and final inspection. I had the very same problem with a battery too. Also with a tire. Until they make better stuff, we are all stuck with buying and returning.

There's little else we can do. You might as well buy over the counter. If the stuff doesn't work, you can return right away. Some parts sellers are pretty savvy too. I know one who is a former mechanic. His advice is always sound.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
yup, i have had to return two or three times on starters and alternators till one that worked showed up

brokenstrings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
.004"
I can't get my alternator from Ford anymore. I don't want to get another from Bosch.

Which of these reman brands or parts stores suck the least?

Another gripe is that Ford doesn't make parts long enough.... but that's another thread.....

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ditto on taking 3-4 tries to come up with a quiet alternator. All new, not sure how many were poor QA and how many were damaged from being shipped with zero packaging.

Also tried to rebuild an old Ford unit at one point, but the corroded housing didn't survive.

After the second noisy Bosch, I'm running an ACDELCO Summit had for a good price, but I agree it's basically all rolling the dice at this point.

brokenstrings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
.004"
I went the junkyard route. 100K on the unit for $65. If I'm going to have issues I'd rather not pay $200+ for them.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
All this talk of alternator issues and mine went out today. We will see if a replacement is good on the first try, or how many it will take. Friday though, not tomorroe.

brokenstrings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
.004"
Used one is a winner. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals