• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag short?

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Are there any problem areas where the airbag system shorts on third gens? I ask because I have fixed everything left on my truck this weekend and its working great, except for the airbag light. It flashes a code 12 but only because the fuse in it is blown. When I add a new one it literally blows within a second of putting it in. vehicle on or off, doesn't matter. I'm talking about the underhood fuse of course labeled mini 4 that is for the airbag system only. nothing else is acting weird.

This started happening a bit back and I hadn't had time to troubleshoot it. Any ideas of where to start? I suppose I can check the current to that fuse to start with, but I was hoping for some pointers on problem areas where it might short since following that thing through the harness would be a pain in the ass. Also would a messed up clock spring blow fuses and not show any other symptoms?:pissedoff:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
For example I know that on automatics a wire chafes on the column. Mine is manual without an adjustable column though so I doubt thats it :(

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check for grounds, frayed wiring, etc..
Perhaps you could look into the recall bulletin to see if your truck is affected. The problem was a boo-boo in the steering column that could start a fire-

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I would take it to a shop and have it looked at, Bro. That issue could cause an injury to you or somebody in the truck with you. I don't like to mess around with the airbag systems..not at all. I saw a friend's son get hurt when one went off in his '04 Exploder one afternoon. We were out in my diveway talking about the warning lights he was getting on the airbag. He said he would take it to a shop the next day. They were getting ready to leave and his son jumped in the passenger seat while the Exploder was still running and then all of a sudden the passenger air bag discharged and what a mess.
Just be careful, Bro!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would take it to a shop and have it looked at, Bro. That issue could cause an injury to you or somebody in the truck with you. I don't like to mess around with the airbag systems..not at all. I saw a friend's son get hurt when one went off in his '04 Exploder one afternoon. We were out in my diveway talking about the warning lights he was getting on the airbag. He said he would take it to a shop the next day. They were getting ready to leave and his son jumped in the passenger seat while the Exploder was still running and then all of a sudden the passenger air bag discharged and what a mess.
Just be careful, Bro!!
That is odd because if the light on the dash is on the system should be disarmed completely.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Check for grounds, frayed wiring, etc..
Perhaps you could look into the recall bulletin to see if your truck is affected. The problem was a boo-boo in the steering column that could start a fire-
Yea been looking and no luck :( guess I might have to tear apart the dash and carpet to find it ugh...Any idea what color wires to look for?

Just be careful, Bro!!
This is what I'm afraid of by not fixing it, currently the system is disabled because the fuse is not in and clearly won't stay in long enough to get a proper trouble code which screams a short. Well I can always pull the battery too...

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
That is odd because if the light on the dash is on the system should be disarmed completely.
my thoughts too, but I'd probably pull the battery too if i'm going beyond under the hood. Any one know more or less where the wires are routed and color? Jeez what a pain in the butt :annoyed:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Evidently it was not. He had an airbag warning indicator that showed an issue. It was on for two days he told me when he came over to borrow some tools from me.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Evidently it was not. He had an airbag warning indicator that showed an issue. It was on for two days he told me when he came over to borrow some tools from me.
Well in any case I usually steer clear of the impact zone when working on it, and disconnect the battery too lol. :icon_thumby:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another air bag problem not covered in recall is the wiring under the drier's seat. For instance, when I need to get in the back to get tools (whatever) & need to move the seat forward for better accessibility.....For some reason the air bag icon comes on. It is a common boo-

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Another air bag problem not covered in recall is the wiring under the drier's seat. For instance, when I need to get in the back to get tools (whatever) & need to move the seat forward for better accessibility.....For some reason the air bag icon comes on. It is a common boo-
Does this affect third gens?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals