• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

airbag deployment

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, this spring i was goin through our corn field and the drivers airbag popped in my face, no i didnt hit anything hard, no rocks no mounds only goin about 10 mph in a plowed field, anyways,what do i all need to replace my airbag? i know the bag itself, clock spring...are there any other relays or anything that could have been popped? also, how come my seat belts quit workin? is it wired to the bag deployment bs? thanks guys!

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Ford probably made the seat belts not work when the air bags go off to prevent you from driving it without the air bag being there for your safty.

Hearing what happened to you I thankful that mine doesnt have a knock-out bag to hit me in the face if I do go off road.

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
anyone else?? BUMP

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
What do you mean by seat belt inop? Won't retract or won't extend or both? As for air bag, would check up front in the grille to see if any of the airbag sensors there need replaced. By the sounds of what happened, one of them probably went faulty and activated the airbag. Do you just have one air bag or is it both front seats? If so, did they both deploy or just the driver one?

Last edited:

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
only the drivers side deployed, i had the pass airbag off so it never deployed, also the seat belts both retract and extend, they buckle itself wont keep it in, idk if there is a latch mechanism iside it or what, but it just wont "click" when you put your seat belt in the buckle, comes right out grr!

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried unplugging the seat belt sensors at the base of the seat? Sounds like they have a safety built in, but don't know why they would want to unbuckle the seatbelts with airbag deployment. Think that is a lawsuit waiting to happen if it is the case.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Sounds like the pre-tensioners on both seat belts activated. They work by pulling the seat belt downwards to hold you against the seat. Once they go off I believe you will have to replace the buckles.

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yep your right, there is an actuator inside the buckle itself, i took it out and tested it with a volt meter, once your bag deploys it must blow something inside the buckle itself, it will not take power, i ran a fused + and a - to the buckle, and it popped my inline fuse i had it hooked to, BUMMER!!! but i did find a sweet deal on a package deal for both bags retractors and buckles for 500$..just going to have to bite the bullet! and and someone responded about the seat belt retractors, usually when your bag deploys with my research online, the retractor is supposed to lock in whatever position it is so i has to be replaced, mine in this particular case still extends and retracts for whatever reason...hmmmm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals