• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AI Artificial Intelligence

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Big Brother has arrived!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Big Brother has been here since the first humans learned to talk
I imagine the first sentence ever spoken was "Well I heard Cain slew Abel and..............." gossip
We can't help ourselves we just like to rat people out, lol
My younger brother used to rat me out all the time, should have been called "younger brother" not Big Brother

I don't care about all the cameras around
But do worry about the deepfakes, AI is good at spotting them but also good at making them
Video and audio recordings used to be good evidence, now......................well grain of salt

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Big Brother has been here since the first humans learned to talk
I imagine the first sentence ever spoken was "Well I heard Cain slew Abel and..............." gossip
We can't help ourselves we just like to rat people out, lol
My younger brother used to rat me out all the time, should have been called "younger brother" not Big Brother

I don't care about all the cameras around
But do worry about the deepfakes, AI is good at spotting them but also good at making them
Video and audio recordings used to be good evidence, now......................well grain of salt
Yep. Their just getting better at as technology makes so they can do more and do it more easily.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What better way to build a profile on you than to know when you come and go, how many there are of you, what you say in the privacy of your own home and whether you own a gun. What evil could possibly come of that?
Sounds like quite the conspiracy theory. Frankly, this thread is full of them, and they're really not helpful. I have NEVER seen ads for something I've talked to a friend about in the presence of my phone. Is my phone listening? Yes, and no. YES, it listens for me to say "Hey, Siri," but it only recognizes MY voice, if my friend tried to ask Siri to do something, my phone wouldn't respond to him. I know this, because I've set up other peoples' phones for them, and then when I tried to teach them how to use voice commands, the phone would only listen to MY voice, not theirs.

Whether you (WE!) like it or not, AI is the future. Can AI be used for nefarious purposes? Sure. HOWEVER, Canadian and American law is such that "evidence" obtained via an AI is not admissible in court, UNLESS law enforcement gets a warrant. And I highly doubt that going to the judge and saying, "I was listening to Fast Eddie's phone last night, and he said something interesting. Can I have a warrant so that I can obtain that recording as evidence?" would fly.

Yes, my phone, and my laptop, can show me ads based on my browsing history. BUT, Amazon does it, too (do you know how many times I've looked for something, and then weeks later, gotten an email from Amazon about products related to what I was searching for?), and I'd bet money that the online parts retailers y'all like to use do it, too.

AI will ultimately make our lives easier. Right now, my phone (if I bought extra hardware) could be used to turn on lights, turn up the heat, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few years, my local post office will install sensors in the mailbox, and checking my mail will be as simple as, "Hey, Siri, do I have any mail today?" Paying the power bill will be as simple as, "Hey, Siri, pay the power bill," Ordering groceries, the possibilities are really quite endless. Even reserving library books could be possible.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
China is the worst for "tracking" its' people, it's been noted on PBS documentaries for years, but now it's tracking everybody within its' reach, anywhere its "made in china" computers are used. Their "spy balloons" are a total giveaway.
Douglas MacArthur told Washington before he was banished that our TOP priority was to take out China, guess what, he got disposed, hence his final goodbye in https://history.iowa.gov/history/education/educator-resources/primary-source-sets/cold-war/old-soldiers-never-die-address-gen . where he said "'Old soldiers never die--they just fade away.'
That was not his mistake, but our governments, hence all the years in Viet Nam, and now. our current circumstances

They are soon to do equally as ill concerning Israel :/

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

AI will ultimately make our lives easier. Right now, my phone (if I bought extra hardware) could be used to turn on lights, turn up the heat, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few years, my local post office will install sensors in the mailbox, and checking my mail will be as simple as, "Hey, Siri, do I have any mail today?" Paying the power bill will be as simple as, "Hey, Siri, pay the power bill," Ordering groceries, the possibilities are really quite endless. Even reserving library books could be possible.
" I'm from the government, I'm here to help you "

comforting,,,,,veryyyy comforting

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
China is the worst for "tracking" its' people, it's been noted on PBS documentaries for years, but now it's tracking everybody within its' reach, anywhere its "made in china" computers are used. Their "spy balloons" are a total giveaway.
Douglas MacArthur told Washington before he was banished that our TOP priority was to take out China, guess what, he got disposed, hence his final goodbye in https://history.iowa.gov/history/education/educator-resources/primary-source-sets/cold-war/old-soldiers-never-die-address-gen . where he said "'Old soldiers never die--they just fade away.'
That was not his mistake, but our governments, hence all the years in Viet Nam, and now. our current circumstances

They are soon to do equally as ill concerning Israel :/
Patton said the same thing about Russia.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think she needed at least 4min to fully explain the ALL ramifications of AI in modern society

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They're going to get really bad with this
I just saw a news story, they clone the voices of the ones you know, and call you needing help, money and such!
The news advised to call them right back, after the initial call, and see if it was really them :/
Know your phone numbers. If a relative is going to ask me for help or money there's a 99 percent probability that they will do so in person. If they call asking for help, odds are high that they are going to do so from a number I recognize. I know phone numbers can be spoofed as well, but they would have to knoe wnough to match the voice with a number tied to that voice. Even then I'm not wiring money to an account I don't know, I'm either going to provide cash in person, or I'm loading up the truck to go help out.

The people making this AI stuff is playing with fire.

Granted, this was only during a simulation but the military was conducting an exercise with on of their drones that has AI. The remote operator has final authority on whether to strike a target and each target earns points.

During the exercise, at some point the remote operator was cancelling the attack on target. The drone wasn’t getting the points and didn’t like that. So it took out the remote operator.

The drone was reprogrammed not to kill the operator.

So it took out the communications tower so the operator couldn’t tell it to not take out a target.

They keep going down that road, there is no telling what will happen but the add age of just because you can do a thing doesn’t mean you should be doing it comes to mind. Lord only knows what the unintended consequences will be all because of some fool’s huberous.
That wasn't an actual experiment with a drone, it was a though exeperiment by a bunch of people sitting in a room. It's called War Gamming and it was around before computers. The object is to envision a scenario and a way to overcome that scenario. It doesn't matter how feasible the scenario or the solution is. The idea is to try and devise counters to any feasible situation. Trust me, that scenario is childs game compared to some of the nightmarish situations that have been dreamed up.

Pretty sure the AI Drone thing didn't happen, lol
--------------
I think AI will be a benefit overall
But just my opinion
Agreed (y)

Like i said before...

A 12 ga slug from close range will make mr robot boy fizzle and smoke and go to robot hell.

Thats my theory and it helps me sleep
Yes, make sute it's a large caliber/guage and a direct hit, not a small caliber and/or glancing blow.

I've seen first hand a computer survive a gun shot. It wasn't even a hardened computer. I'd built a computer for someone, just normal components you'd buy from Newegg. An Ultra brand aluminum case IIRC. There was a negligent discharge of a rifle and the round entered the side of the case at a very shallow angle right behind the processor. Pesron didn't touch the computer after and called me to check it out. The round was lodged between the motherboard mounting plate and the side panel of the case. No damage to the internal components. Computer fired up and oerated fine for years afterwards. I think I eventually built them a new system in the same case. I know the same case is still there in use, I assume I've rebuilt it since then due to age.

I work in IT, and IoT (Internet of Things) such as any appliance needing access to wifi is stupid.

STUPID. your fridge/ toaster/ washer/ dryer does not need to phone home for any reason. if repairs are needed, most folks have a phone and internet/ 411 to call someone for that if it is beyond their capability of repair.

And small stuff like toasters? chuck it in the recycle pile and get a new one.

Don't get me started on wifi enabled door locks/ security.

AJ
I'm training in IT, and have been a tech guy most of my life. While I'll largely agree with you, I have come to appreciate some IoT stuff.

I like smart lighting. Being able to turn on and off lights via an app is handy, though I want to figure out better method than the smart bulbs that I'm using. I intend to look into smart switches. I'd also like to leverage smart witches for a three way setup without having to run additional wires in the house.

I have a Google alarm clock in my bedroom. I don't use much of it's features, but I do use it for turning on and off the lights and steeing lights to turn on with alarm. I use blackout stuff to keep my bedroom as dark as possible to having the ability to turn on lights without tripping over everything is handy when the switch is clear across the room.

I'm kind of liking the smart washer and dryer set I bought last week. I wasn't after WiFi enabled, but I wanted steam cycles and WiFi was included on those models. I don;t use most of the smart features, but it is nice to get an alert on my phone when the cycle is done if I'm not where I can hear it.

I kind of wish my fridge and freezer were wifi enabled. I don't care about having the weather, recepies, or a TV screen on them, but a warning if they went out of specified temperature range would be nice.

Most everything else can stay dumb. Especially the door locks.

Sounds like quite the conspiracy theory. Frankly, this thread is full of them, and they're really not helpful. I have NEVER seen ads for something I've talked to a friend about in the presence of my phone.
Yes, I agree, much conspiracy.

I saw a post in another thread recently about the whole ad thing. Someone talking about Concealed Carry. Said there was no way it was coincidence that he and his wife were talking about the subject then the related ads started showing related. They were right, for the wrong reasons. Much more likely scenario when this happens is that you saw, read, or did something related to the subject online that subconciously triggered thoughts about the topic in the mind, at the same time flag in a targeted advertisement database somewhere was ticked. The ad algorithms slowly start cycling in related advertisements, but it's still subconcious so you aren't paying much attention to them. A bit later you and someone start discussion the subject that brings it to the fore front in your mind. Next time you get online the conversation and subject is fresh in mind so you start keying in on the related adverts.

Is it a coincidence, no. Is it because they are listening to everything you say, no. Is it because everything you do online is somehow tracked, bingo.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He seems to be speaking from personal, first hand experience. I think he's an AI, so we should probably quit communicating with him, too.
Misdirection 101. Accuse others of what you yourself are doing. Sounds like something an AI would do. 😜

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
He seems to be speaking from personal, first hand experience. I think he's an AI, so we should probably quit communicating with him, too.
Oh. This was about me.

How's Regina?

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
HOWEVER, Canadian and American law is such that "evidence" obtained via an AI is not admissible in court, UNLESS law enforcement gets a warrant. And I highly doubt that going to the judge and saying, "I was listening to Fast Eddie's phone last night, and he said something interesting. Can I have a warrant so that I can obtain that recording as evidence?" would fly.
While I respect your position, I 'believe' (not know) you're somewhat unfamiliar with the state of our top law enforcement agencies' reputation in the United States right now. They're anything but honorable. I'll have to leave it there before it gets political.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals