• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ahh, so confused (emission control problems)

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i fixed it, im pretty sure it was fuel injectors. it still doesnt run quite right but i think its just a hair out of time still and i will have to tweak it a little bit

john5482

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't worry about code 73. Codes 12 and 13 have to due with several sensors. First put everything back together and make sure nothing is loose. Code 33 I'm not sure about, my model does not have a EGR valve that I know of. Remove the negative battery cable and wait 30 seconds, to clear all computer faults. Then reconnect battery cable. Rerun the key-on engine-off self test to verify the error codes. DO NOT run the engine or crank it at this time. Any codes that that show up now will be caused by sensor malfunctions. Ignition module can be simple tested, but if you have not already done so-replace it. Test or replace the coil. In the schmatics, circuits tend to be tied together by splices. Because of that, one problem in a circuit can cause a false problem in another. The next steps to figure this out will take electrical experence and lots of time. After going through checking for error codes and check ALL sensors, even the IAC and ECT. Replace them all if need be. If the problem is still there, we'll have to dig a lot deeper, ready? Disconnect the negitive battery. Disconnect the computer module connector and check all pins on both the connector and the computer module. Clean off any grease found and make sure none of the pins can push out of the connector housing. The computer module has soldered pins. You can apply a light coat of clear electrolic grease on those pins to improve the connections. With the computer disconnected, also disconect the TFI connector. Use a ohm meter to check for open circuits between both connectors and check the SPOUT connector. The pins are #55, 36, 16, 20. If these are all closed circuits, plug the connectors back in and make sure no pins have poped out. I can't go through all the tests here, it took me a whole weekend to run through all the tests, when I found the problem with mine. I had to replace several wires and I got rid of that large cheap connector. If you can get small terminals that can tightly fit around the pins on the EEC-IV module, get some electrical wire and connect the ends between both connectors using those terminals making sure you don't mix up the wires. Even though there are 60 pins to deal with, the computer only uses about half of them. The others are not listed in my book. The wires can help you in trouble-shooting. On the passenger side near the fender under the hood, there should be a large fuse box. Under the fuse box is another box that contains three relays. If you have such a device, you will need access to those relays, some Ranger models do not have a power disribution box. One relay is green, one is gray, one is black. The green one is for fuel, black is power to the EEC-IV, gray is the air condtioner which also goes to the fuel injectors. Check to make sure those relays are working and there is power going through when active. Check the condition of the engine too, make sure your compression is good, oil pressure is good. Also look for any wire bundles going around the exhaust pipes. The PVC electrical wire used is sensitive to heat and can easily melt causing shorts. A TFI problem is mostly due to a short somewhere in the electrical system. Can be anywhere, you will need to remove fuses one at a time and disconnect any systems not related to the TFI system. Take a close look at the wire bundle on the driver side that goes from the fender connectors down the side to the transmission neutral switch, solenoids. If any of those wires have damaged insulation, it could cause lots of engine problems. If these become shorted, the convertor will lock up causing a lack of power and making the engine work a lot harder against the convertor causing the flex plate to break, and blow the head gaskets. That bundle also has live 12v power feeds in it. Your next step will be to get a electrical book that shows the computer TFI wiring. The OEM factory books are the only ones I know of that have all the trouble-shooting proceedures in it. Good Luck.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
so how is it running?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
so how is it running?
uhh, like junk. it was great for about 150 miles then it started to nosedive again. john5482 has made me think a little more, i will look into some of his tests, though i have already done some of them. on my other thread here it was suggested to rule out water in the tank with a bottle of heet, i never really thought of this and will try it tomorrow for sure. i have been using stp's fuel treatment (red bottle) quite a bit lately with no results but its not really made for water in the tank, heet is. i replaced my fuel filter but i noticed that there is 2 filters on my truck. ones inline, in front of the fuel pump and one is a canister type just behind the fuel pump. pretty sure this is a result of the whole carb to fuel injection switch but i need to know, is there even a filter element inside that canister? is it worth putting one in if theres not one already? i wanted to last weekend but it was about midnight when i finished it up and havent had a chance to work on it too much since. oh and i still need tto pull codes again, to see if there was any change

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
okay, now im pissed. it left me stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere today. after about an hour my dad helped my push start it (battery died from trying to crank it after it died) and it ran...sorta...i had 2 vacuum plugs out just to keep it running, and had the timing advanced as far as i could. i limped it home, shut it off and replaced the cap and rotor (figured i would rule it out, they werent that great looking but only about 1 year old) it started and ran a little, i killed it trying to plug a vacuum line back up, and it wouldnt start again. it smells like gas really strong just trying to crank it over and my last 70 miles took 7 gals of gas (10 mpg) so someting is extremely rich from what i can tell, i am getting ready to part it out to get the other truck done...

john5482

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't give up. You think you have it bad? Try dealing with my Ranger a year ago (it took me a year to fix mine due to lack of time). It had all sorts of problems, I never gave up. I looked at the many problems, did lots of research. Tried lots of things I could think of, some worked, some did not. The most important thing I gained was experience and knowledge. It's rewarding after going through factory books and looking at engineering drawings coming up with a game plan and acting on it turning the key and listening to an engine that sounds and feels better then most newer car engines. Some advice: When pissed off - Take a break from the project for a couple of days. When ready, post a recap of the issues. What are the events that lead up to the truck dying this time? Try this web site for possible solutions, they charge a small annual fee to use their on-line books: http://www.alldatadiy.com (Ebay may also have hard copies available)

The on-line books should have enough information you need to trouble-shoot, find root cause and repair the problems. There are a lot of test procedures covering everything. These books are on-line versions used by ASE personnel at Factory Authorized Service Centers. There is also a free demo to try before you buy.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Don't give up. You think you have it bad? Try dealing with my Ranger a year ago (it took me a year to fix mine due to lack of time). It had all sorts of problems, I never gave up. I looked at the many problems, did lots of research. Tried lots of things I could think of, some worked, some did not. The most important thing I gained was experience and knowledge. It's rewarding after going through factory books and looking at engineering drawings coming up with a game plan and acting on it turning the key and listening to an engine that sounds and feels better then most newer car engines. Some advice: When pissed off - Take a break from the project for a couple of days. When ready, post a recap of the issues. What are the events that lead up to the truck dying this time? Try this web site for possible solutions, they charge a small annual fee to use their on-line books: http://www.alldatadiy.com (Ebay may also have hard copies available)

The on-line books should have enough information you need to trouble-shoot, find root cause and repair the problems. There are a lot of test procedures covering everything. These books are on-line versions used by ASE personnel at Factory Authorized Service Centers. There is also a free demo to try before you buy.
i appreciate the encouragement, i'm not gonna give up that easy but my money is all gone for a couple weeks and all my time is going into the other truck so i can get to work on monday.

from what i can tell it is just way way too rich and i dont know why. it started almost a month ago, loosing power and idling rough, backfiring when i coast. i started buy checking timing, fuel pressure, replaced entire upper intake with all sensors, fuel pressure regulator, computer etc etc. nothing worked till i replaced all 6 injectors and distributor. i drove it for about 150 miles and it was fine, then it started to crap out again. this time it was a lot quicker and eventually got to the point i couldnt even go 50 mph in 3rd gear, continuously getting worse as i drove. from there it only took a couple miles till it couldnt even keep its self moving. i pulled off, shut it down, let it cool off for maybe 30-45 mins, tried to restart it and it wouldnt do more than a sputter. it smells really strong like fuel even after cranking it for a few seconds. i advanced my timing quite a bit and got it to start, it ran better after i unplugged a couple vacuum caps. i got maybe 1/2 mile and it shut down. did that 2 or 3 times. after that i left my truck for almost an hour, came back and the battery was dead, my dad pulled me with a tow strap and i popped the clutch and it idled for maybe 5 mins before we stopped and unhooked the tow strap. from there i drove home (10 miles or so) and parked it and now it wont start. go figure...

starting to think maybe a 4.0 swap is in order...or part it/sell it as is. i had planned on selling it as soon as the other truck is done but i wasnt quite to that point yet. i really want to fix it so i can sell it and actually make some cash.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals