• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After 28 years, new shocks

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
That's right folks, I finally got around to putting shocks on my BII today...surprisingly enough, the bolts and nuts came out without breaking. I have been spraying PB Blaster on them for about a month...a little here, a little there. It only took me about 2.5 hours (the 1st one took me a little time - up and down figuring out what wrench to use and how they came off, etc, the next one I had off and on in about 20 minutes. The fronts took me a little bit to get to that top nut (different sizes than the rears, etc.).

I told the guy when I bought it those had to be factory originals; he was like, "Nah, no way!". Anyway, after finding sockets to fit the bolts and nuts (odd sizes), I took the 1st shock off and there's its "E number" and underneath, Ford Motor Company.

Best news was the right rear shock...extremely loose and "broke feeling"...needless to say, I could press them with my finger and they had ZERO bounce back (the right rear rattled and the top tube was so loose that it flopped around on the bottom tube). When I say zero, I mean I pushed them in and that's where they stayed...I was surprised that the front struts (while clearly WORN out) were still in decent shape and would think about moving back to their proper length (or whatever the terminology is).

I wanted Rancho's but couldn't find them today so I threw some Gabriel Ultras on there - they ride firmer than what was on there and now when I accelerate I don't look skyward. :D I like a firmer ride and it should make hauling my jon boat, trailer or carryall a lot better.:icon_cheers:

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh wow how many miles did you have on those :shok:?
And how does your Bronco handle a little jon boat? I was planning on using mine to tow this summer.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
137k if I believe the vehicle history, etc.

It actually tows very well; can't tell the jon boat is behind it and it's a big jon boat (15.5 ft and wide). I towed a very well built trailer with a load of firewood in it...I'm actually surprised how well it tows (I usually use the Dakota) but BII tows so easily I like it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Given the short narrow wheel base of the Bronco 2's I see a lot of people happily towing with them where I live. So they must not tow too bad.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The originals are not going to have "bounce back" as they were not gas filled shocks.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
The originals are not going to have "bounce back" as they were not gas filled shocks.
Didn't know that...I'll go research how they used to work then.

I would assume that the shocks would damper the terrain and move up and down and help with keeping the wheels planted somehow...I'll have to go research - remember, I'm no mechanical genius, what I learn I learn from reading.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Operation is the same on a gas filled shock and a non gas. They both have hydraulic fluid that gets pushed from one reservoir to another. With gas shocks, the fluid has gas around it to keep it from foaming. But as a side effect, that means little to the operation, the shocks try and push themselves outward . . which is what I am referring to in this post. Questions?

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
Operation is the same on a gas filled shock and a non gas. They both have hydraulic fluid that gets pushed from one reservoir to another. With gas shocks, the fluid has gas around it to keep it from foaming. But as a side effect, that means little to the operation, the shocks try and push themselves outward . . which is what I am referring to in this post. Questions?
I watched some stuff on youtube, "how shocks work"...they slow the oscillating time, etc and then read some of the technical jargon on TRS as well as other sites.

Questions:
So, on an old shock, they would dampen and shorten the "bounce of the spring" by "absorbing" the changing terrain/road condition. On new gas shocks (which still have fluid in them), they avoid foaming which causes loss of "absorbing" because of the foaming which makes them "better"...or at least slows down their inability to avoid heat which would cause the shock to temporarily lose its ability to "dampen"?

I would assume newer gas shocks would also help maintain vehicle height because they are always pushing against the brackets but that doesn't seem to have much merit because if I can push them in and out with my hands, a 4000lb vehicle would easily push them around - basically the car's springs is what keeps it in height and load bearing, etc. (so, my wife's minivan would need a spring helper as opposed to new shocks to tow or air shocks to increase the height)

At least I finally found the answer to why shocks are mounted opposite sides of the axle (axle wrap) on some vehicles...that was interesting to find out.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I had we'll over 200k on a little toyota pickup that I had. I was going through it doing all the usual tune up stuff and discovered the rear shocks to be what I think was original. The covers were rusted through and there was almost no resistance when you compressed the shock by hand.

Put new shocks all the way around and it was a night and day difference in handling. I never realized shocks mattered that much for braking distance. But they do.

Sent from my iPhone.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
As far as the dampening, yes that is correct. The dampening happens from forcing the fluid from one place to another within the shock. The "holes" that the fluid goes through causes resistance which allows the dampening.
The gas in the shock has a very small amount of ride height adjustment. But as some shocks have high pressure in them, it does keep them taught.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
As far as the dampening, yes that is correct. The dampening happens from forcing the fluid from one place to another within the shock. The "holes" that the fluid goes through causes resistance which allows the dampening.
The gas in the shock has a very small amount of ride height adjustment. But as some shocks have high pressure in them, it does keep them taught.
Thank you PetesPonies!

In the end, I'm pleased with the better ride (firmer), lack of wheel bounce and chatter I was getting when hitting a lot of rough spots in the road, braking seems better and I'm not launching/squatting the rear end.

Now, if I can just get up the courage to repair that wobbly shifter and go ahead and do the clutch...not to mention, replace the rear main seal...head cover gaskets, fix the leak in the sunroof...etc etc etc...but I love the truck so it'll get done eventually! :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals